MSI "LIve update" - Rubbish, so how do I update my bios??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NutterzUK

Baseband Member
This may seem very simple, but here goes:
recently i've been having a lot of problems with my RAM from OCZ in my X58M msi motherboard.
I've been getting blue screens, corrupt files, everything crashing.. you name it. So,.. i've done the mem tests, upped the voltage, etc etc until eventually i'm told by the support I need to make sure it's not the bios and update it. ( getting around 2000 errors on one of my three DDR3 cards, only 1 or 2 on another and about 500 on the third ).

So, I try liveupdate
- Not compatable with win 7
- I install Vista
- Not compatable with vista ( urgh )
- I install xp - some kind of error calculating 16bit dos or something strange error it came up with. ( had to install xp twice because my XP cd was scratched ).
- I look for the files to download a bootable cd, all they have is a floppy, which... not only do i not have a floppy, requires me to jump through a **** of a lot of loops to be able to make any use of it. ( bit old school using floppys right? Half way through it would no doubt tell me the floppy isn't formatted :p )

As you can imagine.. i'm getting pretty irritated not being able to update my bios, and at the thought of doing it with unstable RAM aswel. I've upped the voltage on my comp and changed the timings to the support recommended settings .

They have now agreed to RMA the RAM, but... now i'm just left wanting that update to make sure. Also, it fixes a few errors I think may be causing problems.

So... any idea?
Oh, I have M-Flash but have no clue how to use it or what it does.

Pweeeaaase help!

Live updating your bios or flashing within Windows is always a bad idea. Can you give me/us a link to your mobo on the MSI site?

You can flash your bios with a Floppy Disk or a Bootable USB Flash drive.

I'm looking at the V3.1 bios for your mobo
http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/bos_exe/7593v31.zip

Floppy Disk Method
Create a bootable Floppy Disk - Bootdisk.Com
extract AFUD4310.exe (flash utility) and A7593IMS.310 (bios file) to the Floppy Disk
Restart with Floppy Disk in drive and set the floppy as the 1st boot device in your bios.
at dos prompt type
afud4310 A7593IMS.310 (don't forget the space)
follow the flash program instructions

The usb flash drive method requires you to make it bootable. The program I used turns it into a Virtual Floppy that can't be undone. Your flash drive will only hold 1.44mb just like a floppy.

Install BootDisk to Bootstick on your PC
Download BootDisk2BootStick 0.10 Beta - Small utility to make an image of your startup disk or clone it to a flash drive - Softpedia

Download Image for Dr.Dos http://3oh6.com/forum_posted/evga/usbbiosflash/drdos.bin

Use BootDisk 2 Bootstick to image the drdos.bin file to the USB Flash Drive.

extract AFUD4310.exe (flash utility) and A7593IMS.310 (bios file) to the newly created flash drive
Restart with Flash Drive plugged in and set it as the 1st boot device in your bios.
at dos prompt type
afud4310 A7593IMS.310 (don't forget the space)
follow the flash program instructions

Hey Slaymate,
Thanks for your help!
I downloaded the bootstick beta and attempted to mount drdos.bin. It kept getting half way through making the flash/floppy and then stopped working, every time I looked at the drive it had formatted it to 1.4mb but not put any files on.
It gave me the idea though to look up the M-flash utility, which was a bit of a learning curve ( not what anyone is after when flashing their bios! )
I put the downloaded files onto the flashdrive, booted it up and went into bios. Selected M-Flash and selected backup ( thought i'd be safe first ). Upon returning to windows it had put a .300 file with my bios on the drive, but, I couldn't copy it over onto windows. SO... I took the leap, formatted the flash drive, put the bios on it, went to M-flash and pressed flash.

The PC locked up for what felt like years, then went through to flash the bios ( watching the % go up lol )... Then booted up to a screen saying some kind of error, "Press F2 to restore default, F1 to continue".
I pressed F2, it booted up... I ran CPU-Z and i'm now running version 3.1 ( and that message isn't there on bootup ).

So... it worked, it was just a bit scary.
Thanks for the help and ideas, got there in the end! Wouldn't have gone down that route without your help!
Also - For future references... the M-flash utility seemed fairly good and ran smoothly, just as I know it's fairly new I was worried. I needn't be.

Cheers

Steve

Slaymate
Thank for post thing that. I have been looking around for some thing like this. Now I just need to try it out some time.

Live updating your bios or flashing within Windows is always a bad idea. Can you give me/us a link to your mobo on the MSI site?

Yes. The last thing you want is windows doing a number on you and crashing just as you are flashing a BIOS. Call me old school, but i still rather us floppy drive and bootdiscs for this.

Slaymate
Thank for post thing that. I have been looking around for some thing like this. Now I just need to try it out some time.

Yes. The last thing you want is windows doing a number on you and crashing just as you are flashing a BIOS. Call me old school, but i still rather us floppy drive and bootdiscs for this.

Lol, that's me :p

@ Slaymate, very interesting ! I will have to make a note of this myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom