New Harddrive, Should I Do Quick Or Full Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheMajor said:
It does not delete any file, only the filetable.

TheMajor didn't you just contradict yourself with that statement after saying Microsoft was right? In windows deleting a file "permanently" from the recycle bin is still called deleting so I assume deleting means removing reference to a file. I think wiping was what you were confusing that term with.

Demalii said:

From Microsoft:
"When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

ek/Esine: Do you mean this ^ post?
I didn't say Microsoft was right.

TheMajor said:

full format does not write zeros to all parts of the harddisk. It does not delete any file, only the filetable. Programs like KillDisk write zeros to your harddrive, so basically u can full-format as many times as your want and the FBI can still find your files.

Ur right about this post ^, I should have said:
"It does not WIPE any file, only the REFERENCE to the file."

instead of:

"It does not delete any file, only the filetable."

Sorry :)

there is not such thing as true deleting when it come to windows xp,

unless you use 3rd party software like Evidence Eliminator, Partition magic or Killdisc

good thread.. if you don't know something.. look it up before saying what you think you know (not aiming this at you major) :)

Demalii I'd also like to add that you should also not confuse someone with another person or else you end up looking like a jackass as I have just gracefully demonstrated. Sorry TheMajor I can never remember names or get them straight in my head :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom