Advice on a new build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nacal

Beta member
Ive been thinking about building a new computer since mines getting pretty dated, its a couple years old but i didn't have a lot to spend at the time so it wasn't anywhere near top of the line even then. Then my psu went and died yesterday, so i just took that as a sign to go ahead and build a new one. I have more to spend this time around than i did last time, about $800 or so, though i could spend a bit more if it was worth it.

I'm not totally clueless when it comes to hardware, but i know enough to know that there are people who know significantly more than me, and are probably far more up to date on everything, so i figured i would ask for some advice. Specifically on the case, motherboard, graphics card, hd, psu, processor, and possibly ram. I can probably just scavenge my old dvd burner and im going to keep using my old keyboard/mouse etc. The reason i said possibly ram is that a family member of mine ordered

Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB) at TigerDirect.com

without actually checking to see if it was compatible with his mobo first. He said i can have it if i want, so i already have that still in the box, if its worth using. My main focus is gaming, so im looking for parts centered around that. I appreciate any advice anyone can give me, and if you need to know anything else that i left out of my post just ask.

yes, you can use that ram. it would free a good portion of the money you wouldve used to buy ram, and you can reuse your dvd burner too.

so in this budget, do you also need a monitor and OS included?

No, monitor doesnt need to be factored in, i bought a new one pretty recently so im all set. But i was thinking about finally upgrading my os to windows 7, since im still using xp.

I don't have time to link everything, but:

cpu: Phenom II x4 940
gpu: XFX HD 4890
ram: u got it
psu: at least 550W (antec, corsair, PC power & cooling)
case: choice
hdd: 32 mb cache, 7200 rpm (WD, seagate, etc)
optical: reuse
mobo: am2,2+,3 socket mobo (asus, biostar, gigabyte, etc)

That should be within your budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom