Newb seeiking wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hibno

Beta member
Hi, I'm new to the forums and new to computer building. I am in the research phase of trying to build my first computer, so I thought I would get into the forums for some help.

Building a computer has always been a dream of mine, and now that I finally have the budget for it. I want a computer that can handle some gaming. I don't need a beast, but something that will play the latest games smoothly.

I've read the tutorials and I've put together a little shopping list, which I will post here.

Right now I just wanted to introduce myself and ask if anybody has some starter advice for something looking to build a computer.

Happy to be here and thanks!

Well, i would say don't go all out with expensive gear, computer hardware prices drop crazy fast and you don't need top of the line for gaming. The one thing i would invest in is your case and your motherboard because these two things have a bearing on absolutely everything else on the system.
Good luck and have fun with your computer adventures.

Hibno said:
ask if anybody has some starter advice for something looking to build a computer.
As Humenoidx said, you don't have to go all out. While the bleeding edge may be the fastest out, it is also way more expensive. If you look around the forums you will see that we don't reccomend the top line CPUs because1) they are way too expensive, and 2) the others can overclock to the same speeds.

A quad core, 4 gigs of RAM, and a 48xx series graphics card will handle any game out there.

A lot of people on here are very good at making build lists. If you can give a price range and a few games you want to be able to play then you can get some really good recommendations.

A lot of people on here are very good at making build lists. If you can give a price range and a few games you want to be able to play then you can get some really good recommendations.

Well, I would say I would be willing to spend around $800 max, but I can afford to run a little over budget. I already have speakers, and I can rustle up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse for free.

Some games I would like to play are Starcraft II on optimal, Empire Total War and Crysis.

Here is what I was thinking of:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor E8400 or Intel® Coreâ„¢2 Duo Desktop Processor E8500 - SLAPK
Intel® Desktop Board DP45SG
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Corsair XMS3 4GB

Samsung Spinpoint 750GB HD

I'm kind of hung up on a case, and I'll admit, I don't really know anything about buying parts, so any help would be greatly appreciated. What I posted is just a tentative list, so I am not really attached to any of these parts. I'll scrap the whole thing for a better list if I need to.

Thanks for the help, Fat. I appreciate you tallying up the numbers for me, too.

I like the look of that build. I am going to do some research into those parts before I buy anything, but thanks.

Be sure to check each part for possible combos. NewEgg's combos may not be but a $10-$20 savings, but two or three combos will add up in a build.

Thanks for the help, Fat. I appreciate you tallying up the numbers for me, too.

I like the look of that build. I am going to do some research into those parts before I buy anything, but thanks.

it was a toss up between the HD 4870 and HD 5770

but since windows 7 is out.... why not? :p

but you could change HD 5770 to the XFX HD 4870 1GB that's $15 bucks cheaper and comes with lifetime warranty

Hey, Fat. I wanted to ask you a question. What do you think about this case?

It is a little cheaper, and it looks cool. I think it should be compatible with the motherboard, and it got good reviews on Newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom