old computer goes won't come out of standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
I have an old computer out in an office in a dog kennel that will not come out of standby. Every time I go out to use it the monitor will not come back on and the computer needs to be reset. This happens quite a bit with the older computers in my house but mostly with the kennel computer. The computer I am talking about is an AMD athlon xp 1800 1.5gb ram, geforce4 mx440 64mb graphics 200gb hdd and windows xp sp3 (soon possibly windows 7).
How can I prevent this problem besides disabling standby because the computer pretty much needs to be on in order for anyone on the network to be able to use the printer.

The os was installed last week, the drivers for everythnig came from windows update except the video card which came from nvidias site and it was the only driver available. mobo drivers aren't available. I don't really know what else I can do to fix this

AOpen-AK77-600N is the motherboard in the computer

I found this site with some bios updates but the dates all say december 1969

AOpen AK77 600N driver

The computer was a custom built computer from a small local computer shop back in 2002

I'm starting to think it has something to do with the hard drive not that it might be failing but that it might not be starting back up properly. I just checked power settings and all it is set to do is turn off monitor after 30 min and hard disk after 2 hours. No standby. I'm going to update drivers and maybe bios and see if that helps.

I think I fixed the problem. I set it to never turn off hard disks, standby after 4 hours and reset the bios to setup defaults and so far the computer has been on for 4 days and never once failed to come out of standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom