Looking to get into the computer field for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest, what is an advanced diploma. I live in the USA so what would that be equivelant to? Once i find out what that is i can tell you if it is substantial.

I would suggest an up-to-date book from Mike Meyers. The latest exam is 700 level so make sure your exam book says it is for the 220-701 and/or 220-702. Most Mike Meyers book's i've seen and hte ones i've used are comprehensive, so they cover both.

Don't forget there are two exams you have to take to become certified.

I'm not really sure how to relate a diploma to the USA school system.

Most college in Ontario are government funded. When you complete a two year program at any Ontario pubic college you get a diploma and an advanced diploma at 3 years.

I think as we are unfamiliar with how much "weight" an advanced diploma carries, then we can't really say how substantial it is especially in Canada, as I am not familiar with the IT industry there. But I am willing to bet you will still need the equivalent of an Associate degree here in the states, and better yet the equivalent to the Bachelor's.

Something to remember about what I just said though. Even the different degrees and their meaning to potential varies from company to company, job market to job market. So it is all relational to where you live, the work climate (hiring) in Canada, or in Ontario to be more specific.

I would really like if someone from the Canadian IT industry would toss in there feedback but until then i might just call a few colleges and talk to some teachers.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I would really like if someone from the Canadian IT industry would toss in there feedback but until then i might just call a few colleges and talk to some teachers.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I'm not in Canada and am in the US.

I guess the main thing is that you do not go and disregard getting an education along with your certifications.

I will assume that the colleges you speak of are similar to a community college like the US has and the degree you get is similar to an Associates Degree. Basically, if you are able to take that diploma and transfer it towards credit to a 4 year university to get your Bachelors degree, that is the way to go.

Right now, the market is bad and you need everything to get a step up on other candidates. I have a 4 year degree here in the US, and I've been unemployed for 7 months after my government contract wasn't renewed and I was laid off. Even though I have 3 years experience I wasn't able to find anything until I decided that I would take an entry level position at 40% less pay just so I could be working again and hopefully get a foot in a door.

Basically I just took a job from someone who should be fresh out of college and that pay because I need to work. If you only had certifications and I have the A+ and a CIS degree and experience they'll take me 99% of the time if I am willing to take the same amount of pay as you.

It sucks, but I was running against that with positions that should be perfect fits for me, but I get pushed aside because some guy with more certs and more years of experience was willing to take less than I was initially willing to take.

Education is important in the IT industry. I'd strongly suggest taking Certs along the way as you get your education, but don't let certs be the only education you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom