About to order... am I missing anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHiddenSun

Solid State Member
I was planning on ordering my new system by the end of the weekend and was just double checking to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and Windows 7.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Case/HDD - Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP / Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB

CPU/MoBo - AMD Phenom II X4 955 / ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X

CPU Fan - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro

RAM - OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Graphics Card - XFX HD-487A-YWFC Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

With the Cooler Master case and the option of having up to 7 120mm fans, should I still get a CPU fan, or just get some more 120mm case fans? The case comes with 3 120mm fans installed. If I were to get more fans, what is a good one to go with?

One last thing, what kind thermal paste should I get?

Thanks so much for the help, if it weren't for this forum, I'd be lost.

I'd recommend the core contact. Awesome cooling, kept my 940 at ~30c idle and ~46 load with the stock fan. Ghetto rigged a Scythe Ultra KAZE and now its 27c idle 43c load with the fan on low. Never really tested it at 3000rpm just too loud to be practical imo.Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

As for case fans, the more you get, the more you need a fan controller. At least thats what I think :p. I put in some of these Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans the 1600rpm version though. NCIX sent me the wrong ones, wasn't that big of a deal. They're a bit loud, but blow tons of air compared to the stock coolmaster ones. I'm sure the 1200rpm would be perfect, pretty sure I have mine turned down to somewhere around there.

Edit: Or you could get this ram instead of a new cpu Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

On second thought just go with the 945, DDR2 is ridiculously expensive now... I got that kit for $52.99 a couple months ago.

I'd recommend the core contact. Awesome cooling, kept my 940 at ~30c idle and ~46 load with the stock fan. Ghetto rigged a Scythe Ultra KAZE and now its 27c idle 43c load with the fan on low. Never really tested it at 3000rpm just too loud to be practical imo.Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

As for case fans, the more you get, the more you need a fan controller. At least thats what I think :p. I put in some of these Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans the 1600rpm version though. NCIX sent me the wrong ones, wasn't that big of a deal. They're a bit loud, but blow tons of air compared to the stock coolmaster ones. I'm sure the 1200rpm would be perfect, pretty sure I have mine turned down to somewhere around there.

Edit: Or you could get this ram instead of a new cpu Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

On second thought just go with the 945, DDR2 is ridiculously expensive now... I got that kit for $52.99 a couple months ago.

as much as i hate to say it, DDR2 is becoming not worth it any more. plus if he got DDR2 ram he would have to get a AM2+ mobo.

also for DDR3 ram you need to get a a DDR3 mobo. like this one,

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

the 940 is not compatible with DDR3 ram, you need to get a AM3 CPU.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

and for some tim, get some T/M-X2

yea but even if he got that am3 cpu, the ram would still not work on that mobo. edit: didnt see your post above.

you could look at this combo
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

due to the combo, it ends up cheaper than the 940 and am2+ mobo you had.

Updated the first post... thanks for the help guys. Muffin Man, good find on the CPU/MoBo combo, saved me some money.

I think with a CPU cooler I'll be fine without adding more case fans, since it already comes with 3.

and for some tim, get some T/M-X2

Is this the thermal paste??

The Core Contact freezer comes with T-X2. So you don't have to worry about buying any yourself.

Yes it will work with am3, although on certain mobo's you can run into a bit of a nuisance. The mounting brackets can be too tight and will take way too much force to clip in. Seems to only happen with Biostar 128ms so you should be fine. But if it does happen just take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend the horizontal arms a bit flatter. Works like a charm :p Dropped my temps by 3c after I did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom