CPU temperature too high? (Phenom II 940)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryora

Baseband Member
I have a Phenom II 940 running at stock speed on a ECS A790GXM-A motherboard. I'm using the stock cooler with a thermal pad.

Core temperatures reach around 63C at high CPU loads. 56C at lower CPU loads. Fans are running at 2760RPM. Comparing with other temperatures I've seen, I think this is definitely a bit high. What could be the problem?

poor heatsink mount. Try a remount.

poor case air circulation. Clean up wires and check case fans perhaps adding more if necessary.

Your idle is higher then my loads :p Remounting the heatsink as others have said makes a big difference usually, then try popping open the side panel a bit, drops my temps by another 1-2c doing that.

Alright, I cleaned out the thermal pad and applied some Arctic Silver 5 and remounted. I also removed some padding in order to increase ventilation. Now I am able to get idle temperatures down to 39C. Load temperatures on the other hand still reaches the 60s... strange. Could it be that I might need a better heatsink?

Room temperature is just under 20C, but that's because the weather has gotten colder lately, though that hasn't really helped load temps. Inside the case is about 22C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom