Laptop screen problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

In Runtime
When I turn my laptop on (either plugged into the wall or on battery power), the indicator lights flash and I can hear the DVD drive spin up (like it does when the bios looks for bootable media). The problem is that nothing comes up on the screen. The backlight does come on, but no text or any kind of signal. The laptop is about 2-3yrs old but (as far as I know) has never been dropped or sat on or kicked, etc.

Any ideas what I can do to find out what is wrong?

-Thanks

P.S. Already switched out memory

There should be a port on the back to connect an external monitor. See if when you plug one in you get something on the screen. You may need to hold fn and one of the F8s to extend the screen to the external output.

Ok, I tried with the laptop plugged into the monitor but the monitor didnt show anything. I also tried numlock and capslock and neither lit up. The hard drive did not seem to spin up either. Any other ideas?

-Thanks

If you cant hear the hard drive spin that is a major issue. You will need to remove the drive and test it on another PC to make sure that it is still in working order. If not then you found the problem. If so then it could be something with the screen and connection on the laptop.

Ok, so I took the laptop apart and removed the drive. I left the laptop open (read: in peices) and turned it on. I heard some sounds from the bios (I think) and the cd drive could be ejected and such, however the cpu fan was not spinning at all. I've never taken a laptop apart before so I assume that it should be spinning (for all I know it doesnt spin till it gets hot or something). Could this just be because the bios notices that the keyboard and touchpad were missing along with the HD or should I have at least gotten something.

-Thanks

P.S. Throughout the whole process the screen remained blank.

While you have it apart, pull the CMOS battery, the laptop battery, and make sure there is no power to the computer. Repeatedly press the power button for 10 seconds. Put the CMOS battery back in, the laptop battery, and see what happens.

Honestly can't find the cmos battery, might be on the other side of the motherboard...any tips?

If I leave the laptop on for a few minutes, the heatsink on top of the cpu/gpu gets pretty hot to the touch...still with the fan not working...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom