configuring HDD in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratman69

Beta member
Hello forum:cool:

I recently built my first rig (goodbye and good riddance to Dell FOREVER!:thumbsup:) and I could use some help with installing my hard drives. I am using my Seagate 160G for my WIndows 7 Ultimate and my applications. Then I have a 300G WD which I want to use for games, and a 1TB WD that I am going to use for HD Video. What I want to know is, when I want to play a game, should I move it from storage on my Games HDD, and install and play from my boot HDD? Or, is it ok to use my Games HDD for storage AND installation and the running of the games? I ask this because I have played HD video from a seperate HDD before and it worked ok (using TMT or KMPlayer) but I didn't know if games should be on the boot disc (all of the install, save games files, etc.) to run correctly. If that is the case, I'll just play 1 or 2 games at a time and then transfer them back to the storage drive when I finish them. I think you guys are following what I mean? Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

Just tell each program where to install (C:, D:, E: ). Some programs don't give you the option to choose, but most do. It doesn't really matter which drive as the OS will have the location recorded in the registry and will know where to find it.

Running a program from a separate drive than your OS drive let's the motherboard access both at the same time, instead of having to jump back and forth between them on a single disk.

You can't just "move" an installed program. Trying to do so renders it useless. It must be installed to its location so the OS will know where to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom