Not open for further replies.

desekoro

Solid State Member
Looking to upgrade a PC.
It will mostly be for gaming.
My budget is around 300 to 400 dollars.
I am located in Ohio.
I am willing to buy online.
Will be using parts from previous build.

What I'm looking to upgrade would be the motherboard, CPU, memory. Looking to get into quad core/ddr3 range with 2x+ pci express slots.

Motherboard/CPU Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Ram - Looking for suggestions, would a 6gb (3x2gb) be worth it for triple channel performance?

What I have from previous build.

Evga 8800
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
case etc.

I know the psu isn't gonna last another video card upgrade but hopefully it'll handle this. Any thoughts?

Okay so i might just go with around 4 gigs or so then. Is the phenom II worth it or could i get by with the new althon II x4 620 propus? I know it doesn't have l3 cache but the price vs performance seems pretty good.

First of all, DDR3 will not make your computer any faster. It will only allow the processor to reach a higher clockspeed. Your goal is to spend the most you can on the processor and minimize wasted money on the Ram and motherboard. Neither actually effects the performance of your computer build.

That combo looks great. That power supply will survive more than just a few upgrades, as long as you don't plan on using more than two video cards or an insane amount of harddrives, you shouldn't have to replace it for a while. As far as ram goes, I would recommend this kit.

As long as your gaming you won't use more than 4gb, so getting two 3gb sticks would be a waste.

K, thanks for the thoughts on the ram, i see the ram you posted is DDR2 though, would i be able to use that with this motherboard?

First of all, DDR3 will not make your computer any faster. It will only allow the processor to reach a higher clockspeed. Your goal is to spend the most you can on the processor and minimize wasted money on the Ram and motherboard. Neither actually effects the performance of your computer build.

Umm how does DDR3 allow you to reach higher clock speeds?.... I was under the impression it just handled the memory differently, but it was not advanced enough to provide a worthwhile upgrade yet.

Edit: Yes Alex made a mistake, you need DDR3 to go with that mobo.

Alright then, so I'm gonna go with 4 gigs of ddr3 probably 1600 speed and most likely the combo deal unless i can get anyone to give me some suggestions on side grades or some pretty good deals I'm missing out on. Thanks for all the responses.

The prices or DDR2 is so close to DDR3 right now, I would go with DDR3 even with an AMD build. The mobo/CPU you picked will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom