I can reach my DSL signal from the coffe shop.....sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
I live in Manhattan, and sometimes take my laptop to a Starbucks that's right near my apartment. The Starbucks is so close, that I can actually get my DSL connection......sometimes.....and if I connect, the signal is weak and then drops out.

So the obvious question....what can I do to strengthen the signal so it will reach me better. Do I need a new modem/router?

I have Verizon DSL, 3 mbps download....and modem is an ActionTec. I believe model is GT701. At most, 2 people using signal at same time.

Any suggestions?

FYI, laptop is Acer Aspire 6530, 3 GB DDR2, 250 GB, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core, Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/Draft-N WLAN, Windows Vista Premium

Thanks for help.

CORRECTION: Model is ActionTec GT704WG

There are two things you can do to strengthen your signal. The first one being the most effective option.

1) Get a Router that has really good range (the ones that come with your internet for free are the worst)

2) Buy a more powerful USB Wireless Adapter

This is the router he has, even with that modification I'm pretty sure the signal is still going to be weak. I would try out the mod first, just to be sure.. might save you some cash in the long run.

Make sure you have Wireless N capabilities. If you already do, look for a booster, or direct the signal, as Paton stated.

sry to kinda hijack this, but is this really true? if there is a better one that i can buy, im not neccesarily gonna buy it, but im just asking for my knowledge. :)
Yes, its very true. Very rarely will you rent or get a router/modem of good quality from an ISP. They rent you a modem/router that costs $20 and make you pay $5 a month for it. After 12 months you've payed around $100 for something that costs $20.

Comcast is really bad about this. At one point they actually forced people to rent a modem, even if they already had one. I mean honestly if the one you have now is working fine and giving you good speeds then don't sweat it. Your probably not at the range where it would make any difference.

Make sure you have Wireless N capabilities. If you already do, look for a booster, or direct the signal, as Paton stated.

OK, How do I know if I have Wireless N capabilities?

And yes, looking for easiest cheapest solution. I really don't want to buy a new Linksys Router, then have to figure out how to connect it, which always seems difficult.

Pushing signal that way seems like a good idea.......

Yes that picture of the modem is basically the one I have....

Modem/Router is Actiontec GT704WG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom