Need help getting to guts of Gateway MX6421 laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itezme

Beta member
Have a Gateway MX6421 which completely stopped working after the dvd tray got banged and wouldn't close. I need to get inside to remove dvd player. I have never taken apart a laptop. Which keys have the screws under them to release keyboard?

You will need to get a manual that shows you where all the screws are. None are usually under any keys, you usually take the screws on the bottom off first, then that will loosen the keyboard allowing you to take that off and gain access the the screws under the keyboard.

If you haven't done it before you will have to google a guide to do so. Usually unscrew the bottom screws, which will loosen the keyboard, which will give you access to one or two screws that hold in the DVD drive.

Usually taking apart laptops are awful and if you haven't done it before I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you're usually pretty handy with computers. Basically just go into the back and take out all the screws, label with some tape which screws go where so you don't mess up the computer and then you should be able to just get into the laptop and pop out the DVD tray. Are you going to replace it or just take it out because replacing it can be a bit trickier and you have to be careful with the ribbon cables that power/run the DVD drive.

Thanks, I think will just remove it for now and see if it fires up. If it does will go from there. If not will try some other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom