Advice w/ Tricky GPU watt requirment

Status
Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
These parts have been ordered, but there may have been a PSU requirement discrepancy on the GPU. We just wanted a second opinion. Heres the build:

GIGABYTE | GA-MA770T-UD3P
ATH II X2 240 AM3 2.8G
2x G-Skill 2GB DDR3 1333
250gb 7200 RPM SATA HD
DVD-ROM

Parts in question:

XFX PVT98GYDLH GeForce 9800 GT - On websites it indicates it needs a PSU minimum of 400w or greater. However on the box it recommends 550w minimum. This card does not actually have a PCI-E power option. It gets supplied directly off the mobo.

The power supply that was purchased is this one...

Pure Black Generic 480W ATX Power Supply for Intel P4 and AMD with Serial ATA, 20+4 Pin Connector, OEM

Theres not a lot of specs there, but this is a second one we have and could try to supply it with.

Logisys PS480D2 480W Dual Fan Computer Power Supply, SATA, 20/24 Pin, Pentium4 support

I'm not really familiar with these PSU's but it's what we have to work with. Just wanted your opinion if we run these systems on these PSU's if they'll work. Or if it's even safe, avoiding the mobo or GPU from getting toasted.

Thanks

it will be fine, since that is a low power 9800GT it can only draw 75W from the mobo, since that is all it supplies, and since it does not have a pci-e connector.

but both of those PSU's look to be cheap quality and may fail.

it will be fine, since that is a low power 9800GT it can only draw 75W from the mobo, since that is all it supplies, and since it does not have a pci-e connector.

but both of those PSU's look to be cheap quality and may fail.

Thanks a lot, that is really good information... if I understand right the pci slots can only support 75w by themselves... to further say thats why the pci-e power options were created for the beefier cards...

Makes you wonder why they would over compensate so much on the box... guess they have higher expectations on most users builds?

^ they do that just to cover their butts. you could get away with a high quality 400w PSU and still have some room. and they base their test systems off of extremely high end hardware.

Makes you wonder why they would over compensate so much on the box... guess they have higher expectations on most users builds?

on the contrary, i think they have lower expectations on most users builds because not everyone is going to know which psus are known to be good quality and which are crap + plus evryone has different hardware. i think it is meant to give some kind of headroom too because you don't want a psu that has just enough power for your rig.

I have a low power 9800GT, and have my entire system running on a 350W Antec Basiq. Of course, I've probably got a little more amperage, and a better quality power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom