Best Bang for the Buck GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

veg1992

Golden Master
Well, starting in November, my internship is starting to become an actual job with a salary.

So, with my current setup, I'm wondering which GPU out there is the best bang for the buck (or dollars per FPS gain).

I was thinking HD 4850, maybe the HD 4870 (the XFX one for $125). Just need to know, because I fully intend on upgrading.

I'm thinking for a CPU Upgrade later on, a Athlon II X4 620.

^ i thought trotter was going to send you another 3850.

and i would go for a 4870. or a 5770. but the real best bang for your buck GPU would be the 5850.

I love my 4850, although my resolution is only 1280 X 1024 and its the 1gb XFX one. Got it on sale for 124.99 CAD, next week it was 182.99 for some reason...

But if the 4870 is only $10 more then I'd say go with that. I can play pretty much every game (including crysis and warhead) maxed with no AA. Or just 2x which is just fine with me. Get about 20-25 fps average with warhead, until the last level with everything on enthusiast. Have to turn some down to gamer otherwise its just too slow more me.

^ i thought trotter was going to send you another 3850.

and i would go for a 4870. or a 5770. but the real best bang for your buck GPU would be the 5850.

We'll see if that happens or not, I thought Trotski was having a bit of trouble with the GTX 260 C216 working.

But I guess Trotter can sell it if he got his 260 working, he needs the money more than I really need the card.

If my parents say I can't spend the money on computer stuff and have to save for college, then I'll just settle with my HD 3850.

We'll see if that happens or not, I thought Trotski was having a bit of trouble with the GTX 260 C216 working.

But I guess Trotter can sell it if he got his 260 working, he needs the money more than I really need the card.

If my parents say I can't spend the money on computer stuff and have to save for college, then I'll just settle with my HD 3850.

You need to tell your parents that working is so much less of a headache when you are seeing rewards coming from it. You should be able to spend some of your money on computer parts

I would get a 4870 between those two hands down.

I thought I had a relative going to buy the 3850, but I haven't heard from him. If he doesn't holler at me, once I get the dough to ship it I will send it on.

If you are going to choose between the 4850 and 4870, get the 4870.

BTW congrats on the job. :D

Thanks man.. working my butt off payed off :)

I thought I had a relative going to buy the 3850, but I haven't heard from him. If he doesn't holler at me, once I get the dough to ship it I will send it on.

I think I'm going to say screw it to the GPU upgrade and just take the HD 3850 and maybe the CNPS9500 from you and just CrossfireX.
That'll be enough GPU power for me, and I'd rather put the money into a new CPU... which brings me to my next question.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops vs Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Both seem bargains for what I'd be getting, but I'm mostly a gamer, and a multitasker; so I'd like to know which would be a better buy for both. I was leaning towards the X3 720 more because of the L3 cache and it's better OC'ing capabilities, which will help me more in gaming; on the contrary, the X2 620 is cheaper and
has an extra core which may help me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom