comp. slows down to a almost compete standstill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dutch Duke said:
I've got a set of twins,and when they were about 2 1/2 years old
they knew how to connect to the net with dail up.
They are almost 5 now and have more comp. knowhow than many adults.:D
my teenagers can barely do that, they know how to get on the net, but they have no idea how to work the firewall or anything, so i have to work on their two computers all the time fixing what they mess up. it's all good cause they have my hand-me-down computers, they are not allowed to touch my new machine that's in my sig.

Okay, now a few day's later and a fresh mind I will try again.
This is what I've done.
Defraged HDD (cpu kept freezing during defrag so I did it in safe mode(?). )
Downloaded AGV6.0 and did a scan.
downloaded Spy Sweeper did scan.
Downloaded ada-aware(SE) did scan. (can't seem to delete TV Media what ever that is.)
Downloaded Registry Mechanic and ran scan.
Still the same problem, getting slower and slower.
I've tried to run Norton disk doctor, but it keeps saying "program writing to disk 10 times" or something like that and program restarts and this can go on for ever.

I don't know anymore,is she ready for the dump?

Hey Major where r u from??

Whe the computer gets slow, press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] and see what program (process) takes up the most memory. If it's explorer.exe or svchost.exe, press Start -> Run and type "msconfig". Select "Diagnostic Startup" click OK and restart the computer. See if it's still slow then.

And with "Simple programs", do you even mean windows explorer or MS Word or such?

Dutch Duke said:
Okay, now a few day's later and a fresh mind I will try again.
This is what I've done.
Defraged HDD (cpu kept freezing during defrag so I did it in safe mode(?). )
Downloaded AGV6.0 and did a scan.
downloaded Spy Sweeper did scan.
Downloaded ada-aware(SE) did scan. (can't seem to delete TV Media what ever that is.)
Downloaded Registry Mechanic and ran scan.
Still the same problem, getting slower and slower.
I've tried to run Norton disk doctor, but it keeps saying "program writing to disk 10 times" or something like that and program restarts and this can go on for ever.

I don't know anymore,is she ready for the dump?

Hey Major where r u from??

Run Hijackthis and post the log here.
Download Hijackthis: http://www.techist.com/downloads.php

I am from the Netherlands, Hilversum

Frans :D

Thanx Major

Here it is.
Thank for your help.
I've got kids and it seems they have been busy

Henk
St John's Newfounland
Canada (former Harskamp Gelderland)
Bedankt voor je hulp

AnimOrC said:
Whe the computer gets slow, press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] and see what program (process) takes up the most memory. If it's explorer.exe or svchost.exe, press Start -> Run and type "msconfig". Select "Diagnostic Startup" click OK and restart the computer. See if it's still slow then.

And with "Simple programs", do you even mean windows explorer or MS Word or such?

Yes thats right.
even the mouse gets slow.

Feel like buying a sledgehammer and try to fix it with that.
:mad: give it a good smack here and there.:D

maybe u should uncheck tvmedia in your startup services. Do you use it? I do not see any spyware in your log but I could be wrong though.

go to:
start/run type "msconfig" and uncheck the tvmedia, maybe it is slowing down everything

you should do a virus and spyware scan also

(Ik ging ooit camperen in Harskamp :D)

yes definitely fix everything with that tvmedia and fix the URLSearchHook items. but do it from hijackthis. afterward run a disk cleanup, run spybot, virus scan then defrag lastly. then after all is done and finished be sure to restart the computer BEFORE you go back online.

Dutch Duke said:
My family computer is about 5 years old.
It worked fine for the things we used it for.
Untill my 2year old started playing with it.
It is so slow, and the longer it runs iddle the slower it gets.
It sound like the HD is constandly busy,and every thing is slow.
When it gets to bad I just restart it and it will be good enouch for 30 min.
My original restore cd is missing and using a friends disk
how do i restore??
even the simple programs are slow.
cd creator 6 don't work anymore,not even the drag to disk option.

thx Henk

ps using 98se

do like i do buy a cheap used pc that it doesn't matter what the kids do to it. put some games on it. i have done that for 7 kids and 11 grandchildren. Give the 98 to the children-buy a used pc good enough for win 2000. you will all learn something!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: comp. slows down to a almost compete standstill

derrmc said:
do like i do buy a cheap used pc that it doesn't matter what the kids do to it. put some games on it. i have done that for 7 kids and 11 grandchildren. Give the 98 to the children-buy a used pc good enough for win 2000. you will all learn something!!!!!!!!

I would like to, but it's all about MONEY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom