Advice on a high-end build

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradS

Baseband Member
Hey, I'm pretty new to these forums. I was just wanting some opinions on whether this build is good or not and whether it is compatible, etc. I have not yet purchased these components but I do plan on eventually getting some parts to build my first computer. My goal is to have a computer that is top notch, that is, one of the top performing computers at a relatively low price point (between $1500 and $2500).

Here's the build that I had in mind:

Intel Core i7 920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

$279.99

EVGA 896-P3-1173-AR GeForce GTX 275 FTW Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

$289.99

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

$199.99

ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

$66.99

APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail (Qty: 2, for the top of the cosmos)

$15.98

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM (The best stuff apparently)

$6.99

LG 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 6X BD-ROM 2MB Cache Blu-ray Burner Model BH08LS20 - Retail

$199.99

Link Depot 6 ft. HDMI TO HDMI A/V Cable Model HDMI-HDMI-2 - OEM (Need one for my hp 2159m HDMI 21.5" monitor that I got a week ago) :)

$6.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

$239.99

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail

$219.99

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (I'll probably use this drive for everything, including windows and storage. I have a couple of decent 7200 rpm drives but they're pretty old)

$229.99

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail (Pretty good motherboard from what I hear)

$289.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

$179.99

Total
$2218.87

I think that's it. If anyone has any suggestions, then just post here. I'm completely open to comments about this. Also, I know that you can have more graphics cards here but this is just the basic 1 qty. stuff. Oh, and please comment if you know how to get this stuff cheaper and whether I'm even doing this right at all. Again, I have never actually built a computer but I do have a lot of experience with computers and I know the basics of computer building, etc. Sorry this post is so long... XD

*Note: these prices are from Newegg when I researched and composed this list a few days ago. So, prices may have changed. Also, The total is minus the cost of shipping as well as any rebates, etc.

Lets see some cash savings here:
The dominators are nice ram but expensive look at some of the OCZ 1600 gold 3x2gb sticks.

The psu you have is nice but more power than you need.
Look at a corsair 750tx if you do not have to have a modular psu.

Stay away from the velociraptor. Either go with a WD black or go with a SSD if you need speed.

Stay away from the Zahlman heatsink. Look at a sunbeam core contact 120 or dark night.

You may want to consider a ATI 4890 for a gpu over the gtx275.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

Although the 275 is a nice gpu. your call.

Do you really need a blu ray burner?

Newegg is the way to go. If you have a microcenter close to you you may be able to still pick up a 920 for $199.

What are the best sticks of ram currently available?

The thing about a psu being modular is that you have less cords and better air flow. It also makes cable management much easier from what I hear. Also, having 1000 watts means that you can upgrade without worries of whether or not you have enough power to run everything.

As for the velociraptor, I have heard so many good things about them. The reason I was looking into them is because I heard that they can be faster than ssd's themselves at times. Also, ssd's cost at least double that of the velociraptor if you want to buy one upward of 300 gb or more.

From what I've read for the past year or so, the zalman heatsink is very good. I think someone said that their temperature dropped like 10 degrees C or something like that. Plus it looks cool. :p

Yeah, I may even consider the most recent gfx cards that are out, even though those prices are ridiculously high.

The blu-ray burner doubles as a blu-ray player. I was thinking of getting one to play hd movies on my new monitor or something.

Yeah, Newegg is cool. My cousin actually bought from tigerdirect instead of Newegg for some of his computer parts and their service wasn't very good.. lol

hmm..are ssd's equivalent to a hdd's 10,000 rpm?

The thing about ssd's though is that they cost so much $/GB compared to hdd's. :p

Buy a 64GB SSD for the SO and a WD Black to store your files. I would buy the HD4890, it's cheaper and has better performance, it's a win win situation.

The blacks are pretty fast on their own. Unless you really need the speed of a SSD then just get the black and wait for prices to drop. That is what I am doing at the moment.

here are some benches for you comparing different types of hard drives:
Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: OCZ Vertex 120GB SATA2 SSD :: CrystalDiskMark & PCMark Vantage

as for the psu a 850watt is plenty unless you plan on running 2 x gtx295's or 3 x gtx285's

I always like some headroom for future upgrades but my 750 gives me plenty even with all the hard and optical drives I run.

It is up to you I would love to have the 1000 watt if money was not a consideration for me.

You can definitely wire just fine without a modular as well. Here is my example of a 750tx:

darn flickr is down will get it later.

The blacks are pretty fast on their own. Unless you really need the speed of a SSD then just get the black and wait for prices to drop. That is what I am doing at the moment.

here are some benches for you comparing different types of hard drives:
Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: OCZ Vertex 120GB SATA2 SSD :: CrystalDiskMark & PCMark Vantage

as for the psu a 850watt is plenty unless you plan on running 2 x gtx295's or 3 x gtx285's

I always like some headroom for future upgrades but my 750 gives me plenty even with all the hard and optical drives I run.

It is up to you I would love to have the 1000 watt if money was not a consideration for me.

You can definitely wire just fine without a modular as well. Here is my example of a 750tx:

darn flickr is down will get it later.

Well...now I know I need to get a ssd when I get these parts. I looked at those benchmarks and I had no idea ssd's were so much faster. :eek:

What I was thinking about with the 1000 watt is for headroom. If I ever want to get an extra one or two gfx cards on my system, I wouldn't necessarily have to worry about also buying a new power supply, which can probably add up depending on the type you get. :p

I was also thinking of trying to do some overclocking eventually.

Here ya go.

3500618919_6e4c2f9be2.jpg

Prior to adding 2 more hard drives, ram cooler and second heatsink fan.

I am not trying to talk you out of the 1000hx as it is a great psu. I would just consider saving some cash were you can and using it to upgrade your gpu as it is the weakest link in your setup, even though it is a great gpu. Or just save the cash for later upgrades.

Best ram at the moment:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model CMG6GX3M3A2000C8 - Desktop Memory

speed worth the cost? No
Do I want them? Yes
Can I afford them? No

best per dollar IMO:
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

These are yummy but still too much for me:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Perfect Storm 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL8T-6GBPS - Desktop Memory

The only tangible benefit you get from buying expensive ram is the ability to overclock higher. Your will not get any more FPS or any noticeable increase in performance.

I know its tempting (believe me) but its something you should think about after you have invested most of your money where it counts: CPU/GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom