Painting Prep for my HAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
I ordered my HAF 932 this weekend, and decided that I might as well go ahead and paint the inside black. Depending on how good of a job I do, I may paint the outside in olive/dark green/brown camouflage. I've never really spray painted anything before, so I set up a piece of sheet metal in my basement to get some practice on, did a little research, bought some cheap primer/paint/hand-gun for spray paint can, and got to work.

On to the questions:
1. I read somewhere that if you dip the can of spray paint in a bucket of HOT water for a min or 2 that it will make for a better paint job. Any merit to this and if so, is there risk of can exploding due to higher heat/pressure inside?

2. From reading other HAF mods, the 5.25" mounting hardware can be rather difficult to remove. Any tips for doing that? I haven't gotten the case yet so I will take a good look at it then.

3. I currently have 150 and 400 grit sandpaper. Being that I only plan on flat/satin finishes I shouldn't need any finer than that correct? If I only paint the inside of case, will the 400 be fine since i'm just trying to rough the metal up a bit? 150 would be more for removing paint from outer case if i go that route.

4. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

On to the questions:
1. I read somewhere that if you dip the can of spray paint in a bucket of HOT water for a min or 2 that it will make for a better paint job. Any merit to this and if so, is there risk of can exploding due to higher heat/pressure inside?

As long as it's not scalding hot water, you should see a slightly better result. It'll thin the paint a little, for a cleaner spray.

2. From reading other HAF mods, the 5.25" mounting hardware can be rather difficult to remove. Any tips for doing that? I haven't gotten the case yet so I will take a good look at it then.

You'll have to ask someone else, sorry I have no input for this question. :silent:

3. I currently have 150 and 400 grit sandpaper. Being that I only plan on flat/satin finishes I shouldn't need any finer than that correct? If I only paint the inside of case, will the 400 be fine since i'm just trying to rough the metal up a bit? 150 would be more for removing paint from outer case if i go that route.

I would (and personally do) get atleast 1200 for any paint job, this will be used on the coat BEFORE the final coat of paint. Gives it a slightly better spraying surface, and the paint should apply, and dry nicely.

4. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Get something to test on. Maybe your current case? It'll make the end result on your HAF that much better if you haven't painted in a while, or ever before.

Someone posted this (photoshop'd) a while ago on here, and this is what I'm going for, along with the inside painted black.

HAFcamo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom