Are i7's Really Worth It? What about Hyperthreading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
You know it's been about a year since I've been in the loop as far as computer hardware goes and as you can see in my signature my rig is getting just a tad bit outdated. Being the hardware addict I am, this cannot go on for much longer...

First of all, I hate hyperthreading simply because it doesn't help me in gaming. In your opinion do you think it is worth the extra $80 when going from a i5-750 to the i7-920? What about the LGA 1366 socket? If I don't ever plan on using more than one graphics card, should I even consider it?

Thanks for all the help, I'm really interested in what you guys have to say. :whistle:

Six cores and 32nm together.. at the same time? In six months?

That sounds amazing. Too bad after buying the i7-920 it'll be at least a year before I even begin considering another processor. Hopefully Intel will keep this socket for a while. I really don't want to have to buy a new motherboard later on.

The i9 will NOT be cheap, just look at its name and the target market. I know i would love one for rendering, but they also probably wont see that much improvement in gaming. We dont know if LGA1366 will continue after the i9 [hopefully it will] but we do know that LGA1156 will be limited.

In alot of circumstances i would recommend buying an i7, but in your circumstance i would think its better to just save the money and get an i5 setup that will do almost as well. You wont have alot of upgrade options down the line, but theres nothing to say you will with an i7 setup either. If you save some cash it then makes a new computer down the line not so bad.

If your only going to use one graphics card, want to save cash, dont intend to get an i9, dont want HT and so on, there really isnt much point going for an i7.

Yeah, if you're going i7 920 it will last you for a while. And like meat said, the i9's are probably gonna cost a fortune.

ya. from what i've heard, the i9's will be replacing the i7 extreme series. so that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lol

ya. from what i've heard, the i9's will be replacing the i7 extreme series. so that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lol

Really?

Typical Intel if its true, and I'm not recommending the Core i7 920 for the sake of upgrade ability anymore then.

Really?

Typical Intel if its true, and I'm not recommending the Core i7 920 for the sake of upgrade ability anymore then.

Then what would you suggest, as it's the cheapest socket 1366 chip? 1156 will be limited in future support. 1366 has a better future support, but only time will tell how much support there will be for it. By time a new socket comes out, the i9's will be cheaper than what they'll be at launch, and far cheaper than the new chips that will be for the newest socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom