Need Urgent Help on CPU, MB, Waterblock etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm66554

Baseband Member
OK so the laptop I'm using right now will only be with me until Tuesday, and I need to have a computer for my uni course, so I am thinking of putting together my PC.

I need these componets:

CPU - possible core i7 920
Graphics Card - nVidia 8500
Motherboard - ?
RAM - ?
and possibly water block - ?

So my first question:

1. Is the older version of EK supreme CPU water blocks compatible with i7 processors?

2. Should I go for a high performance upgrade or a temporary cheap 'upgrade' i.e. basically anything that will give me access to the internet and PDF files? I can wait until summer next year for a better PC. If cheap what should I get? Will probably be off eBay.

3. If I go for high end, should I get a core i7 920 CPU? I will be overclocking and I want something that will last, so is the socket 1366 futureproof? Will the next batch of Intel CPUs work with current 1366 MBs? I'm thinking the 6 core lineup. Should I get a better CPU from eBay for same price? I don't really want AMD.

4. What 1366 motherboard should I get and which RAM?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't really have the time to read up all this info myself otherwise I would. If I go for high end, the PC will be used for music production/recording, photo/video editing, and some gaming, so pretty demanding tasks. Thanks.

5. Also another question, my water cooling system seems to have white bits inside it as if the liquid is reacting with the component materials. From what I checked they are mostly copper, the components are:

radiator - Black Ice GTX 120
reservoir and pump - XSPC X20 720
waterblock - EK Supreme Plexi
Feser One cooling fluid

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

dsc0060r.jpg

1. I don't know much about that.

2. Well if you're looking for something that just does web and pdf I'd go with the 1156 socket. The i7 920 is overkill for that.

3. If you go i7 get the 920, anything like the 950/975 are a waste. The 1366 socket will be the platform for the 6-core CPU's.

4. If you go with the i7 920 get the EVGA x58 (Either E757 or E758) for a motherboard. And the OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3-1600 for RAM.

If you want to go 1156 socket get an i5 750, it will give you great performance for a good amount less than an i7 920.

Also what's your budget?

Intel Core i5-750 - Has the same exact performance as the i7-920. But it much cheaper and doesn't have HyperThreading. They will overclock the same too. Some programs will take advantage of hyperthreading, however most don't. (I'm not a fan of it)

Overall I would go with the i5. Pair that with a LGA 1156 motherboard of your choosing for around $150 Like this and get some OCZ or Gskill ram for around $80.

Both 1156 and 1336 sockets will be used in the future. Both will have high performance processors. The main difference is that the 1336 has a larger QPI which means it can handle more Graphics cards, Ram and additional CPU sockets. As far as getting the most out of your money, LGA 1156 is the way to go.

Once overclocked the other i7's don't stand a chance.

I should've clarified earlier that I meant really cheap or really expensive, so something like a P4 setup vs i7 setup. Budget for cheap I guess would be <£100 for the lot on ebay, for expensive I'm not sure but I'm comprimizing on the graphics card and will only be buying 2 used RAM sticks.

3. If a used 950 was the same price as a new i7 would it be worth it? Or should I only buy this new since warranty etc... Is 950 just OCed 920?

Alex when you say "Once overclocked the other i7's don't stand a chance." do you mean OC i5 vs stock i7 or OC i5 vs OC i7?

I should've clarified earlier that I meant really cheap or really expensive, so something like a P4 setup vs i7 setup. Budget for cheap I guess would be <£100 for the lot on ebay, for expensive I'm not sure but I'm comprimizing on the graphics card and will only be buying 2 used RAM sticks.

3. If a used 950 was the same price as a new i7 would it be worth it? Or should I only buy this new since warranty etc... Is 950 just OCed 920?

Alex when you say "Once overclocked the other i7's don't stand a chance." do you mean OC i5 vs stock i7 or OC i5 vs OC i7?

I mean, the difference between all the i7's is very small. One of the main differences being their default clocks. Once they are all overclocked the difference becomes pretty much non-existent. (1,2)

5. Also another question, my water cooling system seems to have white bits inside it as if the liquid is reacting with the component materials. From what I checked they are mostly copper, the components are:

radiator - Black Ice GTX 120
reservoir and pump - XSPC X20 720
waterblock - EK Supreme Plexi
Feser One cooling fluid

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4462/dsc0060r.jpg

Feser One coolant is known to be bad. Take a look at this:
Confirmed: Feser 1 Blue Premix + GTZ = do NOT want - XtremeSystems Forums

that's just a problem that comes up with Feser One fluid. If you use distilled water + biocide you're fine.

that's just a problem that comes up with Feser One fluid. If you use distilled water + biocide you're fine.
Alright. I'm thinking about doing watercooling (once again) and I'm glad you posted that link. I learned a lot by reading all of their comments. I also saw a thread on NCIX about some guy accidentally drinking a little bit of antifreeze. Thankfully he's alright.

So far I've learned this:
Antifreeze is a not a good idea...
Don't mix different solutions...
Distilled water is a good alternative to mixtures...

my advice:
don't use pre mixed coolants. period. if you want color, get colored tubing.
distilled water ftw.
don't mix metals (alum + copper = corrosion)
always use clamps.

@OP, I would drain your loop and check your blocks to see if there is any build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom