New Harddrive, Should I Do Quick Or Full Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
iceware said:
Of course it will work. It doesnÂ’t matter weather you format it with a full format or a quick format.

i've tried it twice (second time out of curosity), it didnt. try it yourself.

if you want to check this on your old hard drive, just make new partitions (delete and re-make) and try this.

also, i'll recommend quick format once you have done full format to hard drive.

as quick format is faster + does not damages the hard drive, as you full format your hard drive more than 70 times, and its GONE.

Blind_Arrow said:
as quick format is faster + does not damages the hard drive, as you full format your hard drive more than 70 times, and its GONE.

Blind_Arrow it's okay to not know about something, but when you start making up things you don't know about that's just ridiculous man.

Full formatting doesn't damage anything and you can format for the life of the hard disk which is years. That's thousands , maybe ten's of thousands of times. Blind_Arrow if your statement was true that would mean reading & writing causes damage to the hard disk.

actually when I got my 160GB drive, I did a quick format. it works
my 160GB HDD is fater than my 40GB drive, but that's probbably because the OS is on the 40GB, and I haven't filled the 160GB up very much

The difference between the regular format versus the quick format is whether or not the volume is scanned for bad sectors using the chkdsk command. Both methods remove the files from the volume. After awhile of doing quick formats you could possibly loose hard drive space.. to fix it just do a full =)

From Microsoft:
"When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

If you installed Windows XP on a partition that was formatted by using the Quick format option, you can also check your disk by using the chkdsk /r command after the installation of Windows XP is completed. "

actually a quick format means that it writes/rewrites the index at the start of the drive, and if it is a ful format, it will write zeros to all parts of the hard disk
if you do a quick format, any files that are on are not removed. the computer looks in the index for every file that is on the hard drive, so if no files are in the index, it will assume there are no files on the hard drive.
the same also applies to deleting a file in windows, you don't delete the file from the hard drive, you just remove it from the index so it appears like it is not there.
the index is just a method of speeding up access of the hard drive
there are tools which scan the entire hard drive for files, sometimes used by the FBI to find files which users think they have deleted

*coughs* as that pertains to my response, not instead of, cheers.. and i did get that bit from microsoft.. i think they'd know

apokalipse said:
actually a quick format means that it writes/rewrites the index at the start of the drive, and if it is a ful format, it will write zeros to all parts of the hard disk
if you do a quick format, any files that are on are not removed. the computer looks in the index for every file that is on the hard drive, so if no files are in the index, it will assume there are no files on the hard drive.
the same also applies to deleting a file in windows, you don't delete the file from the hard drive, you just remove it from the index so it appears like it is not there.
the index is just a method of speeding up access of the hard drive
there are tools which scan the entire hard drive for files, sometimes used by the FBI to find files which users think they have deleted

full format does not write zeros to all parts of the harddisk. It does not delete any file, only the filetable. Programs like KillDisk write zeros to your harddrive, so basically u can full-format as many times as your want and the FBI can still find your files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom