Some Problems with CPU Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric1

In Runtime
So I've been reading lots of past posts on acceptable CPU temps, but have not found the answer I'm looking for yet. I'm using a Zalman CNPS9500 heat sink with Raidmax Smilodon case . I have my CPU Intel Quad Q6600 running at stock speeds of 2.4GHz on 100% load and my sytem temps are as follows.

Core Temp:
Core #1 68C
Core#2 62C
Core#3 68C
Core#4 60C

My system temps are around 45C idle which seems normal.

When overclocking to 3GHz I'm getting 73C which I believe is too high. Actually I think all these system temps are too high for this type of aftermarket cooling. I'm wondering if I need to reapply the thermal paste. Any suggestions?

What kind of heat sink do you have? I have a friend who has a Q6600 and those are about what he gets on the stock cooler. He's had it OC'd like that for over a year now, so I'm guessing it's a reasonable number.

What kind of heat sink do you have? I have a friend who has a Q6600 and those are about what he gets on the stock cooler. He's had it OC'd like that for over a year now, so I'm guessing it's a reasonable number.

Zalman CNPS9500 heat sink.

Yeah, that might be a little too high.. Try reseating the heat sink and checking to see if you have too much thermal paste on it. I get around 60 Celsius on my Q9550 with an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro or whatever it's called at 3.57Ghz

Check for dust, possibly bad airflow, or too much thermal paste.

I'm guessing its probably dust if your idle temperatures are normal though.

Check for dust, possibly bad airflow, or too much thermal paste.

I'm guessing its probably dust if your idle temperatures are normal though.

Yeah the inside of my case is a bit dusty, It's hard to keep the dust out of this case. There is dust stuck in the fins of the heat sink so I guess I have to take the heat sink out to give it a good cleaning, kind of a pain. :facepalm:

Update:
Well I cleaned some of the dust off the heat sink, not much on it. I also reapplied a thin layer of Arctic Silver. Overclocked the CPU to 3GHz 100% load seems to be holding at 67C. I guess it's better then 73C, but I wonder if it will still climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom