Please Help In Danger Of Loosing All My Hard Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzr22

Solid State Member
ok so yesterday i was using after effects when avast finds a virus in my system folders. I tell it to delete it. After about 2 minutes my computer gets the blue crash screen. I try to reboot in regular and safe mode same thing. I use dell reinstallation disk to try and use recovery console but i cannot because the admin password is blank. I try a repair install and leave it on but when i get back the computers off. I think my password screen blocked it from rebooting. Now when i go back to the reinstallation disk the only copy of windows it picks up is D my disk drive.... if i go to the next screen with the partions it displays
- partion1 fat 94 mb
C partion2 recover ntfs 2048mb
D partion3 ntfs 746167 mb

my c drive is my main hardrive wtf happened did it mix up my drive letters? im afraid to try anything so i call windows they tell me to call dell dell tells me they can install windows on my machine without erasing the other one and then transfer the data from my drive to the new installation. Im fealling so relieved.... then they want 129 dollars!!! so im say no thank you! can you please help me to do this without paying 129 dollars plus tax.

You are my last resort i cant loose all my data please help me!

Put the HDD into another computer as a slave drive or download a linux liveCD. Either boot to the CD or boot the other computer, you should then be able to see all of your data BACK IT UP NOW (you should have been backing up all along). I don't think 2GB is big enough for an XP installation but do the back-ups and post back.

Put the HDD into another computer as a slave drive or download a linux liveCD. Either boot to the CD or boot the other computer, you should then be able to see all of your data BACK IT UP NOW (you should have been backing up all along). I don't think 2GB is big enough for an XP installation but do the back-ups and post back.

I am not sure what a slave drive is but ill do some research. but if i put it in my other computer then wolnt it just have the same problems as the other computer? whats linux live cd? sorry im not smarticle at this kinda stuff :cry:

EDIT: i know what a slave drive is now but how could i have to drives in at the same time?? this is a laptop im looking to transfer 2 :p

The alternative as kmote mentioned is to download a Linux "distro" (means distribution).

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

Then using a program such as ImgBurn, you can burn it to a CD. Then you would make the CDRom drive top priority in the boot list at the system setup screen. So when you boot up the computer it will show in this case, Ubuntu. Enter English for the language, hit the top option (to run it as a live CD and not install it), and then we can help you from there.

Oh, and kmote is spot on ! Back up back up back up !

Hard Drives are pretty cheap nowadays, buy a new one and install windows and then use your old drive as a Slave/ Data Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom