new 5870...got problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your 3Dmark score looks fine. So its not the card, its the game and possibly your drivers.

Those scores are bad for that card,Heck my little 9800gt's in sli get 18k + and just like Slaymate said the card is pretty much equal to a GTX 295 so theres some thing wrong for sure.

Have you even tried the format yet?

I have the latest drivers for the 5870. I also updated drivers for everything else , I think. My 3dmark06 score may look OK , but I was just playing UT2004 and I was getting 25-35 fps , which is obviously terrible considering I was getting 80-90 fps before with the 4830. I tried the Crysis benching tool last night , but apparently you need to own the game for it to work.

So, its more than one game your having FPS issues in. If you have the time I would reformat Windows and if you still have problems, RMA it while you can. If a complete reformat doesn't fix your problems then it's pretty safe to say that you've gotten a defective piece. :(

Unrelated: You can run the benchmark on the Crysis Demo. I remember benchmarking on the crysis demo a few weeks before crysis even came out.

O.K. , I finally decided that it's a bad card. I took it out and put my old 4830 512 mb card back in and UT 2004 runs beautifully again. I will be sending that beast back for a replacement. I will be sure to post my results with the new one when it gets here. Apparently Newegg is out of them for the next couple of days , so we have to wait...Thanks for all the advice and replies!

Dude , did you read the entire thread? YES

EDIT* Sorry , I get kind of annoyed when I have to explain stuff previously discussed in the thread. Also , a lot of you guys seem to skim over questions and answer only 1 or 2 when there were more. At least tell me you don't know the answer , or acknowledge that I asked. Just a little constructive criticism. No hard feelings? :thumbsup:

Those scores are bad for that card,Heck my little 9800gt's in sli get 18k + and just like Slaymate said the card is pretty much equal to a GTX 295 so theres some thing wrong for sure.

Have you even tried the format yet?

Agreed

@ newbiebuilderguy, I know you already plan on getting the card RMA'ed, but here's a little more proof that your card is defective:

YouTube - #1096 - HIS HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 Video Card Video Review

That's Rodney Reynold's review of it check the benchmarks from: 5:31 - 5:42. He's getting about the same score as you with 3x the amount of pixels as your resolution. (Yes, I know he has a Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz, but as 2560x1600, it shouldn't be very CPU bound).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom