new 5870...got problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah , and during the test I saw no flaws!! Maybe my computer is getting used to the new addition!! :silly: Of course I'm not serious , but what could be happening here? BTW I am in the midst of downloading the Clearsky benchie that Slaymate suggested. It's taking a while...slow 125 kb/sec. download. I will post my results as soon as I can.

EDIT* I downloaded the benchmark tool , was about to run it , but it's not giving me the option of running in advanced DX-9 mode. Should I just run it in DX 10 at the default preset? Thanks

I disabled SLI and ran 3DMark06 with a single GTX 280 and scored a 20953 in Vista64.
ORB - Compare
With SLI enabled I've scored as high as 28847 in Win7
ORB - Compare

While I don't expect the 5870 to beat my SLI score, it should be close. And it should definitely smoke my single card score.

I'd like to know what your cards load temps are like while running the benchmark. Either it's throttling down or the 5870 just isn't all that.

Well your CPU score definitely smokes mine...are you sure that's not what's making the difference? Also , did you read my edit above?

Your card should be almost equal to a GTX 295, it takes both of my GTX 280's in SLI to match up with the GTX 295, and then I am slightly more powerful. You should be able to beat my single card score.

I'm not really up with the Stalker Benchmark, I've only ran it once, and it is a really old benchmark.

OK , I ran 3dmark06 again...here are the results plus maxed GPU-Z readings. Honestly , do you guys think I have a bad card or is this the result I should expect? Does it make any difference that I am only using a 1280x1024 monitor? EDIT* I just noticed that GPU-Z says the max gpu load was 1% lol. Must be a bad reading?

Attachments

• 3dmark06 with gpuz.jpg
    3dmark06 with gpuz.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 75
First of all.. Stalker is not a good game to bench on. The fact that you can go from 270fps to 27fps says a lot about its engine. If you are worried that you aren't getting good performance out of your card run it on the Crysis Demo and compare. (or just buy Crysis for like $20)

Your 3Dmark score looks fine. So its not the card, its the game and possibly your drivers.

Here's a good page showing 5870's performance: Guru 3D's Crysis Benchmarks

I have the latest drivers for the 5870. I also updated drivers for everything else , I think. My 3dmark06 score may look OK , but I was just playing UT2004 and I was getting 25-35 fps , which is obviously terrible considering I was getting 80-90 fps before with the 4830. I tried the Crysis benching tool last night , but apparently you need to own the game for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom