Wireless Router Power Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

I've been shutting off my Verizon wireless router every night to save energy...but I think it's messing something up b/c I've had to reset the router twice already in 1 month.

I had a D-link wireless router before and never shut it off and never had any problem.

Should I leave it on 24/7? Seems like a waste of energy.

Thanks.

I leave my modem and router on 24/7 , there is all that much power consumption. You would use more electricity just running a coffee pot 1 or 2 times a day.

Thanks...just seems like all those LEDs going on and off and the constant humming I hear is wasting energy...

Well, technically, any unutilized power drawn on the meter is wasted. However, since it is a relatively nominal amount of electricity compared to other devices and appliances, I would think the cost of this device to be on 24/7 would outweigh the hassle associated (we think) to the problems you have experienced by shutting it off.

Good point, I just noticed on my router configuration website that it was changing the channels and some settings every time it was shut off.

Well when a router comes back online in a powered-on sense, it has to get new IP addresses via DHCP communication with a DHCP server. So there will be some hesitancy before connecting to the Internet because it is getting a new IP address block, which will pass on IP addresses to the clients on the network as well. Sometimes you get the same ones, sometimes different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom