upgrade to quad core or win7: which first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be a little off topic, but how does the 955 do for OC'ing? I was considering it myself, but you all might have just convinced me to go with the 940.

The 940, 955, 965 black editions should all overclock similarly. From what I see, all three can at least do 3.6-3.8 with no problem, depending on the motherboard you use. With each processor being able to overclock about 100-200MHz over the lower one respectively.

Yeah, I'd go with the quad core first. But I'd buy the highest end one, but that's just me. Too bad I skimped out on my motherboard for my Q9550, though.

Yeah, 940 sounds like a good plan then. I've never really messed around with overclocking much. Mostly due to warranty voiding and my nervousness about frying a couple hundred dollars in two seconds. Which, I do tend to buy slightly higher end than I'd really rather spend, for the sake of equivalent performance. But, I have enough backup equipment now that if something did go wrong, I'd have some fall back options. Plus, I've done everything else that I "shouldn't do", so I might as well jump on the OC wagon too, lol. Any suggestions on a good aftermarket cooler?

Thanks for everyone's help, by the way. My brain is now freed up again to think about other dilemmas. Like, who was the genius that forgot to remove the fork from the box of chinese food when they re-heated it?...

I'm liking the looks of the Xigmatek one. Looks pretty solid. I might get a stronger fan for it though. Perhaps blue, to match all my other fans.I used to have one of those all-in-one liquid cooling units, on my 939 board. It worked quite well. But after about two years the pump started whining. So, I took it out before it actually died, to avoid problems. Wouldn't mind getting another liquid set-up eventually. But I think I'll go the independent-components route instead, to get one that's easier to fix if only one thing goes wrong.

Well, it's hard to argue with first hand experience. So, sunbeam it is then. Thanks.

Probably waiting till Monday before I make final decisions. I apparently have to call The Microsoft Store to cancel my Win7 pre-order. I just want to make sure that's totally cancelled first and that they don't pull anything on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom