Computer clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmote

Seg Fault'n,
I have more rear IO shields, screws, cables, clips, blanking plates, stickers, manuals, adapters, drive cages, bay converters, driver CDs, anti-static bags, drive rails, cards, HDDs, optical drives and other hardware rubbish lying about than I know what to do with.

I try to keep it all organised because I know I'll need it one of these days but I think I've finally run out of room for it all. I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps all this stuff, what do you do with it?

I don't have this problem, but my mum does; her solution is to chuck it all in crates and hide them away, never to be seen again :p

I keep all that crap, it is in a huge HP box that my laptop came in.

I have manuals, tons of screws (in plastic bag), extra PSU's, extra RAM/CPU/GPU/NIC all chilling in that box. I rarely have to use them and to be honest i get more 'new' items to add to the pile faster than i'm taking away from it.

I've got boxes of stuff. I need to go thru them, I could probably throw more than 1/2 of it away. I've got one box full of fans, adapters, cable ties and stuff like that, that I keep in the car for the random repair job :D

I have:

Large bag of Sata Cables
Large box or everything IDE cable known to man
A box of CD and DVD Drives all used and slow
A box of old Ram cards (I think there's even some 1 Meg simms in there)
Computer parts computer parts computer parts Miscellaneous boxes
Network cable box, and another box of all the connectors and the crimper tool i never use
Oh a large bag of IO plates as well, basically they are all different
Oh I just went and checked what else:
A box of old Power cables and stacks of Laptop (old) adapters
About 10 PS2 keyboards (someone always needs one for a rainy day !!
A box of PS2 Mice (Mouse?) Some original MS stuff that's worth 2cents
A box of old Hard Drives (highly likely with Windows and data on them)
4 Old computer boxes, that were updated and I thought I could re-use one day!
A box of AGP cards (I think they're 16meg and under)
A box of PCI modems, including USB 56k modems
Stacks of other PCI cards that I don't even want to look at
An old (working?) Motherboard that I anti-static bagged up a long time ago
Oh, I nearly forgot my box of CPUs from 486 to P4
Miscellaneous other "stuff" Old external drive case, printers, speakers etc etc etc

And I want to bin the lot !!!

They sit in my room (note: they sit in all rooms really) taking up space
The kitchen table is full of it (mind you my new printer is on that too)
I'm running 3 PC computers and I now feel its basically overboard (my laptop just sits waiting for onsite calls)

Its just all rubbish waiting for "a rainy day" when someone says I need that for a buck !
I am literally going to toss the lot, I don't want to put it on eBay because I don't trust most of it anyway, what do you do with a box of old, dirty PS2 mice??? it's rubbish

Edit:
A huge box of CDs , I mean HUGE. I have kept the lot
I even have original 95/98/ME/2000/XP/Server2003 Windows setup Cd
And all the rest of Windows burnt on CD/DVDs
Driver discs galore
just looking in front of me I see about 300 discs with "something" on it (and they're my semi-recent discs)
I don't know if I suppose to destroy them (some data and many copied game (!) discs exist amongst them)

Help :D

I've got a shelf in the storage closet with a couple of boxes of stuff, most fairly dated. I keep it as most people's computers are a bit older anymore. A few PSU's, optical drives, modems, a few AGP GFX cards (very old), oodles of cables, the boxes for some of my computer stuff (things that would be worth reselling one day), spare 15" CRT VGA monitor.

All of my disks are either in the racks built into my desk, or on one of the many spindles in and around my desk (very small corner desk... I 'atesssss it, I does).

wow, thats crazy. ive only got like a little drawer with some hdd's and ide cables. some 56k pci cards, and like 3 or 4 really old agp's.

do you guys think you could build spare pc's from those parts?

I have all of the following sitting in boxes in my closet.

2 sticks of dead Crucial Ballistix
250w HP psu that I would only use if a gun was to my head
400w off brand psu that I wouldn't use even if a gun was to my head
Asus nforce4 AM2 motherboard
athlon x2 stock cooler
Emachines desktop with a 1.8ghz P4 and 768mb of DDR
Compaq desktop with a 600mhz P3 and 128mb of SD ram
Matrox Millennium II 2mb PCI video card
HP matx case
a bunch of misc. small parts

Both of the desktops work but they aren't really fast enough for anything useful so I guess I'm just saving them for parts. I wouldn't mind having a file server but they don't have SATA ports and a pci SATA controller would cost nearly as much as picking up a cheap Sempron for the Asus mobo.

I had 1/4 of my garage full of computer stuff. Can you say 30+ psu's for a starter.

My solution:
Move to Sweden and throw it all away. Some how I have already managed to fill up two computer case boxes with crap in just over a year. I am an addict.

I had 1/4 of my garage full of computer stuff. Can you say 30+ psu's for a starter.

My solution:
Move to Sweden and throw it all away. Some how I have already managed to fill up two computer case boxes with crap in just over a year. I am an addict.

It's alright Hefe, you're with friends here.

I have all of the following sitting in boxes in my closet.

2 sticks of dead Crucial Ballistix
250w HP psu that I would only use if a gun was to my head
400w off brand psu that I wouldn't use even if a gun was to my head
Asus nforce4 AM2 motherboard
athlon x2 stock cooler
Emachines desktop with a 1.8ghz P4 and 768mb of DDR
Compaq desktop with a 600mhz P3 and 128mb of SD ram
Matrox Millennium II 2mb PCI video card
HP matx case
a bunch of misc. small parts

Both of the desktops work but they aren't really fast enough for anything useful so I guess I'm just saving them for parts. I wouldn't mind having a file server but they don't have SATA ports and a pci SATA controller would cost nearly as much as picking up a cheap Sempron for the Asus mobo.

Firewall for the P3, server for the P4. Cheap SATA HBA can be had for peanuts.

It's interesting to hear what people consider clutter.

EDIT: this is the kind of clutter I have on and under my desk (I didn't have to get off my chair to get any of this)
P1010007.jpg

Left to right: molex plug for akasa HDD enclosure, fan screw replacement that came with a noctua fan, a SATA end cap thing (it has MSI on it hopefully it came from my P43 and not my K8), DVI -> VGA converter, a thing from my antec solo, I have no idea what this next one is but I've had it for maybe 3 years?, full height bracket for SCSI adapter (this was in use till Wednesday), 2.5" insert for hotswap bay. Mostly rubbish (and less polite words) and there is a lot more where this came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom