new 5870...got problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed my new Sapphire 5870. I went through the whole procedure , uninstalling old drivers , ran DriverCleaner , installed card , installed new drivers , and upon trying games , I find that my old 4830 (single card) ran much more smoothly than the 5870. Everything works. Just not as well as it should. I'm sure it's something simple that I overlooked. Can you guys advise me on what to try next? Thank you in advance

did you download the new drivers that officially support the 5800 series cards?

maybe it could be your temps, is the fan working?

maybe you just happen to get one of the bad eggs, which souldnt be a problem because its still under warranty, but still, i know i would be eager to play with it and not have to wait through the rma process..

Here is the screen shot. Temps are fine even under heavy load. Downloaded latest drivers. Why are driver cleaning programs bad? I was forced to use Drivercleaner the first time I installed catalyst 9.2 for the 4800 series , so I thought I should use it again(since I already paid for it).

Attachments

• gpu z screenshot.jpg
    gpu z screenshot.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 358
Vista was installed about 6 months ago. Should I reformat? A while ago I thought I might have a virus , but could never verify anything through AVG , Spybot , Malwarebytes , or hijackthis. I do get the occasional problem with responsiveness when I open something or programs refusing to shut down , etc..

EDIT* I was just sitting here watching GPU-Z and noticed that it says the card is running 850/1200 almost constantly. It wasn't doing this before...it was idling at a very low 157/300 or something. Do you guys know if this is normal?

it certanly would not hurt to re install, heck i am getting ready to re install win 7 and i usually like to re install about every 2-3 months.

Well alrighty then. I guess I'll get to it. I do miss the way everything is all snappy with a fresh install!! :big_smile: Have you ever had a virus survive a reformatting? I've also heard there are some bugs that can get into the BIOS. Is this true or an "urban legend?" Sorry to get off-topic.:tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom