quick ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch

Baseband Member
I have a gigabyte board and im going to be ordering the p4 3.0Ghz processor tonight. Anyway I already have a 256 stick of kingston ram and I would like to add another 12. Would it be better to add 1 512 stick or 2x256 sticks giving me a total of 768. The board is capable of running dual channel memory. BTW this will not be OC'ed at all. Thanks

it would give you best performance with a total of 2 sticks of RAM, so they run in dual channel.
I suggest either 2x256 or 2x512MB if you want the extra performance, but if you don't want to worry about dual channel, I think 1x256 and 1x512 is the better of the options you posted

if u have dual channel Mobo, then i'll suggest, dumping your old memory (or) buying same manufacturer's stick of 256MB making it to 512 total.

else ur dual channel wont work :(

both sticks have to match latency (at least) if not manufacturer.

and are you on Intel 865/875 chipset?

MSI will have definately QVR of DDR Manufacturers (as I can assure of Asus though).

if latency matches, then hopefully it will work, else i'll recommend either buying same DDR as your old Memory.

(or) , dump ur old mem, and buy a matching pair.

A bit off the subject, but if I have a 939 socket board commin, and two 512 ddrs that I want to run in dual channel, do I have to set that up in bios or will it automatically do it for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom