How do I reinstall drivers for a new ASUS 9600 GSO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

My new ASUS EN9600 GSO just arrived and I could not find very clear information as to how to uninstall old drivers before installing the new drivers.

So, I think I messed things up [the card does not seem to be working properly].

Can someone help me to understand the best way to uninstall the old drivers and then reinstall the new drivers for this ASUS EN9600 GSO?

This card had rave reviews at Newegg and was being sold for only $29.99. It replaces a really excellent working E-Geforce 8600 GTS.

Many many people told me the 9600 is much better than the 8600, yet the windows rating is showing a smaller score [dropped from 5.7 to 5.6], and the performance seems to be of poorer quality.

I installed the latest drivers from Nvidia, but I did not remove the old driver, thinking it would do it automatically.

Can anyone here guide me to a site or give me very clear instructions as to how to rectify this challenge?

It's me,

Soar

Do a Google search and download a program called driver swipper. Once installed find the driver for your video card and uninstall it. Once uninstalled go to ASUS EN9600GSO drivers - vista / xp to download the correct driver for you video card.

Have any problems just post back.

D-Rocks,

I did a quick review and my knees are still shaking!

You sure Drive Sweeper is the way to go?

Most recent User Reviews for Driver Sweeper

Reviewed by: Kussmichbitte

02-08-2009

Duration of ownership: 1 Days

Strengths: Did notice any

Weaknesses: It pulled up the drivers that I should remove and so I did. Big mistake! Now I sitting here reloading all my drivers because it removed ones needed like chipset drivers, display drivers, ect.

Overall Evaluation: The worst software I have ever used!!! I would not recommend this at all
Reviewed by: deleyd

11-06-2008

Strengths: Helps identify those driver files

Weaknesses:

Overall Evaluation: The new version 1.5.5 has an "Analyze" button and a "Clean" button. The "Analyze" button gave me a list of files and registry keys. First I uninstalled the drivers using the driver's uninstaller. Rebooted normally, ran CleanSweep, Analyze, Clean, rebooted, Analyze, all the files were still there. Rebooted in Safe Mode, ran CleanSweep, Analyze, Clean, this time it worked. Then I decided to do a System Restore and purchase a different brand video card. (I'll use this again when it arrives.)
Reviewed by: dannyg

10-23-2008

Duration of ownership: 0 Days

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Overall Evaluation: I installed Driver Sweeper on my XP machine, did a scan of my video drivers since I have updated them several times. It made my computer un-bootable. I had to boot in safe-mode to recover and still had to reinstall my video drivers. That was my one and only experience with Driver Sweeper. I don't dare ever try it again. Once was enough.
Reviewed by: Debarella

01-19-2008

Strengths:

Weaknesses: No CHOICE of what the software will do BEFORE it does it!!

Overall Evaluation: Don't use this software unless you know EXACTLY how to reinstall your drivers!! Didn't sweep OLD driver version, swept CURRENT driver version!! I took a chance on this software utility on the advice of the "19 Tools to Get the Junk Off Your PC" article ASSUMING (yes, I know...) that whoever was recommending it had actually used it. Most utilities that are going to mess with your registry entries tell you what changes it proposes to make and asks you to OK those changes. Not this one!! Then it was a bit of a challenge to find out what it had done, though I eventually found the info in the log file. Thank goodness for Sony support which had the original display drivers for my VAIO laptop on the support site.

Yes

If other drivers are affected then that means the drivers were corrupt to begin with and should be re-installed again

Note Driver Sweeper has had many revision updates since 2008

Ok Kimsland!

I have downloaded it and will give it a shot tomorrow!

Have a good one!

Soar

Ok, I ran the Driver Sweeper and removed three [3] categories of Nvidia drivers/components. Then I reinstalled the most up to date drivers from Nvidia's website. Everything is working fine now. Oh, I did need to uninstall and then reinstall ASUS's Gamer OSD in order to empower ASUS Smart Doctor to work again.

So all is good now! Thanks very, very much guys!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom