Wont Boot up - Did i fry the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been following this thread and others as I have a similar issue. I have tried all the suggestions and even a known working PSU. The mobo LED comes on, but nothing else does. This is a friend's machine and she says lightning hit it. My guess is the mobo is toast. Sorry to sorta jack your thread.

I just removed the lone RAM module - boots up exactly like before: with single immidiete beep, dvd drive reading light, floppy disk drive reading sound, working num lock on keyboard, but no signal.

Removed the fan and tried again - this time it actually started, but jus like without any RAM (or with RAM for that matter).

Re-checked all the connections. Most are pretty difficult to remove and put back in, and more to the point were never touched until this happened. Admittedly, the Case Fan connector is a bit wobbly though, but it seems to be making all the right sounds and lights when starting up. Hmm....

If you have tried another Power Supply
Oh, and also disconnected all externals (even keyboard and mouse)
You have tried Benchtesting with all internals unplugged (note: it does need at least 1 working ram module)
Then, yes it looks like motherboard issue

Well Ill buy a cheap new PSU and let you know how that develops.
Thanks for all the help so far! ;)

Sit Rep. : Bought new PSU. Fitted it. Tried again: no improvement.

So it must be the motherboard, right?

Haha its ok, I think my folks can take the £13 hit!
Though I think I will go back to using the old Hiper psu - its quieter, rated for 80 more watts, twice as heavy, and was 5 times the cost!

Right the next step is to replace the motherboard I guess, I still have a 2.4Ghz P4 that I never fitted due to this little issue - so Im gonna go for an old 478 socket mobo from the bay. Will let you know how that turns out...

...badly, thats how it turned out.
Badly In the sense that theres still no improvement :(

Just to re-iterate my problem: Computer powers up with working fans, DVD-ROM, Keyboard and Mouse, but screen stays blank (my tv actually states "no signal"). Makes a solitary "beep" as soon as powerd on. I know TV and VGA cable work because of testing with my laptop, and used to work before with this computer until i cleared out some dust.So I changed the motherboad (Intel 845GV to a IBM branded intel 845G)- no video, as well as:

new cpu ( P4 2.4Ghz) - no video,
added a graphics card (Geforce Ti4600) - no video,
new RAM module (Kingston DDR 333) - no video

all in addition to the new PSU I fitted. So despite the only original parts remaining being the HDD and DVDROM, I still have the same issue....am I cursed? :(

EDIT: checked out the Ti4600's S-video output. Using the supplied adapter, connected it via composite video, which produced a black flickering image. Tried it on an old CRT tv, and it produced a black, flickery image with two horizontal white lines in the middle in a 2.35 ratio - like a widescreen movie on a fullscreen set, only without the actual movie :p Is this indicative of anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom