I dare you to solve this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
Sorry for the vague title, but I'm stumped. I haven't been here in a while... I usually consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to computers... but this one has me vexed.

I have two computers, Computer A, and Computer B. Computer A suddenly crashes... from another room I hear a loud popping noise. I come to investigate, and it appears Computer A is no longer getting power. The motherboard has an LED that is lit when it is getting power (whether the PC is turned on or not), and it is off. So, I assume it's the power supply, and I send it off to PC Power and Cooling for an RMA.

Well, I get my power supply back and plug stuff in and... still nothing. So I decide to see if the new power supply will power my other computer, Computer B. I plug it in and it works great. Ugh. Well, just for kicks, and I try plugging in the power supply from Computer B into Computer A and then that PC starts working!

So to sum it up, the power supply from Computer B will power both computers, A and B. However, the power supply that I got back from the RMA will only power computer B...

Unfortunately, Computer B belongs to my parents, so I can't just swap them parts... they wouldn't like that. Even if the answer was that simple, I don't think I could rest knowing that something as weird as that is happening.

Both computers use the same connectors, except Computer A which has an extra spot on the motherboard for a standard power plug (like the ones that go in floppy drives and fans and stuff). However, the LED would light just from the 24-pin connector if it was getting power.

I've tried switching power cables, wall outlets, surge protectors, no surge protector, and I'm at a loss.

Can anyone help me?

PS. The new color scheme makes my signature look worse than it did on the old white one.

before putting the new power supply in
Remove the 24Pin connector
Hold the ON button in for 30secs
Put the 24Pin connector securely back in
Again hold the ON button in for 30secs
Put the new power supply in

That should work
If not, you may have a hairline crack on the Motherboard
Or the thing that blew the original Power Supply (Dust?) May still be there

Edit I've just realized that is confusing :) So I'll re-write it:

Unplug the power cord
Remove the Power Supply
Hold the ON button in for 30secs
Remount the new Power Supply
Put the 24Pin connector securely back in
Again hold the ON button in for 30secs
Plug in the power cord
Turn on

Thank you for your reply. I tried the 30 second thing, and it didn't work.

A hairline crack would yield inconsistent results, however the computer always works with the other power supply, and never with the RMA'ed one.

I went over both the motherboard and the power supply pretty well with a flashlight, and I couldn't see any physical damage. The computer is dust free now... however, it was pretty dusty at the time of the malfunction.

This is so weird... and annoying.

Sometimes a new power supply may have one pin on the 24 pin connector slightly pushed out
Basically the new power supply must work on both (as long as its a reasonable power supply for computer A)

Oh I edited above, because it was confusing, even to me :D

I used to work for Computer A... until the malfunction. After an RMA, the "new" power supply will only power Computer B. It makes no sense.

I gave the pins a close inspection. There were a couple that were *slightly* (less than a mm) different than the rest... but nothing obvious. I tried pushing them up with some pliers and it worked a little, however, the motherboard is still not being powered.

Both the power supply and motherboard definitely work to some degree... whatever the problem is will probably be very subtle.

What did you mean by "the new power supply must work on both"? Because it, without a doubt, only works for one PC. =(

The two computers were built the same year and use very similar power supplies.

I emailed PC Power and Cooling (OCZ) to ensure I was sent a new power supply... and not something else. Perhaps the determined there was nothing wrong with the old one and sent me back the same one.

I wish I had a voltmeter so I could test the voltages coming out of each of those 24 pins...

SOULphIRE: My machine (Computer A) uses a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V power supply with a Abit IP35 motherboard. I'm not at my parents house anymore, so I can't check their equipment. All I know is that they have a Gigabyte board and an Antec power supply... which is probably too vague to be of much help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom