Best mobo for OCn - i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

xquizit

Solid State Member
I will be building an i7 gaming rig - only to play COD4 #2!

i7 920 - I would like to OC it, but I do have a very minimal understanding. (go into BIOS, change the black lever and volts) *Flame-suite equiped* Furthermore, I would like to learn how to OC my ram.

I would like two recommendations from the experts:
1) What's a good motherboard to use for a i7 920 processor?
2) What's a great 6gb ram kit I can OC? I was thinking the 6gb OZC Dominator 3x2GB, or OZC Gold 3x2GB. I heard the dominator is capable of 8-8-8-20 1600.

I will be using the CoolerMaster HAF 230 case, and no water-cooling will be done. I would ask about OCn a GPU... but I'm stuck on waiting for the GTX300 series or getting a GTX260 (recommended by someone, they think this is all over-kill for COD4#2) or even the new 5000 serie ATi cards. I might SLI in the future, can anyone recommend a good PSU (I know this is a very important part in my rig)?

Ok first off, there's a LOT more to ocing than raising volts and base clock.

RAM has an option in the BIOS to set the RAM ratio i.e. on stock of 133 bclk 2:10=1333MHz, 2:12=1600MHz. There's several ratios and can't remember all of them off the top of my head (I think 2:8-2:14 in increments of :2 not sure). Here's a starter guide that I found pretty useful to OC'ing the i7 920.
How To OC the i7

1. How high do you plan to OC. If you just want to normal OC the EVGA E758 or E757 will do fine. But if you plan to INTENSELY OC like above 4.949GHz then you're gonna want to go with the EVGA Classified.

2. Go with the OCZ Gold 1600 kit.

As far as PSU, I recommend the Corsair 750TX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom