photo processing system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend avoiding the Samsung SSD, you would get far better performance from a drive using a controller from Intel (X25-M) or Indilinx (OCZ Vertex/Apex, G.Skill Falcon, Patriot Torqx, Super Talent UltraDrive).

I recommend avoiding the Samsung SSD, you would get far better performance from a drive using a controller from Intel (X25-M) or Indilinx (OCZ Vertex/Apex, G.Skill Falcon, Patriot Torqx, Super Talent UltraDrive).

Actually, I have the Samsung PM 800 & the OCZ Vertex - & I think the Samsung is the superior performer (which is why I'm putting in this new build). I've been wary about the Intel drives as I've read a lot of horror stories about performance deterioration over time.

I haven't ever seen the PM 800 reviewed specifically but other drives with Samsung controllers tend to be massively slower than the new Intel drives at random reads and writes.

The Intel X25-M G2 should be getting official TRIM support soon (assuming it hasn't been released already) so that should resolve the performance degradation issues seen on older drives.

Glad to learn they are going to provide TRIM for the Intel's, that makes them a lot more tempting - 'cept for the price! The earlier Samsung's were definitely slower than the new Intels, the PM800 is their Gen 2 & it's a lot faster than the older ones. A problem though, is the lack of firmware updates - though there is talk of a new FW w/- TRIM when Win7 is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom