CPU crashing and showing blue screen when using All in Wonder video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

upgradequestions

Solid State Member
Hi,

I just installed a new All in Wonder HD video card and the CPU is crashing when I try to go to Windows Media Center and click on set up TV. Currently, I have 2 monitors connected to the card and the computer is working fine, it only crashes when I try to set up the TV signal in Media Center.

Here is my system:
AMD Phenom X4 9950 Processor
Dominator 4GB PC8500 RAM
Asus M3A78 Motherboard
Thermaltake TR2-430W PSU
video card causing the issues: Diamond AIWHD3650

Sounds like a driver issue. Are you trying to output to HD resolution? IE: 720i/p, 1080i/p, etc.

EDIT: Also, what is the power consumption of the video card? HD takes a lot of power, more than normal, and a 430W PSU just might not be enough to cut it. Especially considering you have a PhenomX4

The source (TV signal from coax cable from antenna) varies from 480i to 1080i. The main monitor is set at 1680x1050 and the secondary monitor is at 1280x768, but I imagine that the maximum output that the TV image will be is 1080i.

Good point about the PSU. I thought that might be the issue also. If it gets overpowered, will the CPU just shut down or would it still show me a blue screen after crashing? When it happened, twice at the same task, it just crashed and went to a blue screen. If the PSU is failing wouldn't it just power down the machine, or would I still get a blue screen?

It depends on the PSU. If it's not getting enough power, it can either shut down, or sometimes it just won't allow the function that is causing the overload; which would be the reason you're seeing a blue screen. The first thing I would research before you go replacing the power supply, is the recommended PSU for your card. Also, are you using XP media center, or vista. Because that cards HD receiver seems to only work with Vista. Is your OS 32 or 64-bit?

Hey guys,

The card seems to work fine with the supplied program (TotalMedia 3.5). The recommended PSU for the card is 400W and the PSU that I'm using is a 430W. I'm using Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

The 400watt recommendation is a minimum value. If you have extra drives, components, fans and so on you may need more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom