I need a nice gaming monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question about the resolution of the Samsung you recommended. In the product overview , it says it's a 1920x1080 , but if you click on the specifications tab , it says it's 1920x1200. Is there a specific resolution that I should be looking for? One that the card will work optimally with?

I saw this one ... Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" 5ms 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1 (DC) w/ HDCP Support - LCD Monitors
Is the resolution too high? Would games support an odd resolution like that?

EDIT* Holy ****! That Hanns G would be nice if my monitor wasn't so close to me!! I think 22-24" is good enough for me though. :smile:

How much would you be willing to spend?

Anything that has a 178º viewing angle means it doesn't have a TN panel.
TN panels are cheap to make panels that only use 6 bits per colour channel, and can therefore only display 262,144 colours (as opposed to 16,777,216 colours of an 8-bit panel).

They attempt to mimick more colours by using methods such as dithering, and switching between two colours rapidly. But the end result is not the same as actually having an 8-bit panel
The types of 8-bit panels are IPS and VA, with subsets of each (including S-IPS, H-IPS, MVA, PVA)

So far it is impossible for a TN panel to get a viewing angle of 178º, so that's the easiest way to tell if it's a TN panel or not

I've heard good things about the HP LP245w. It's got a H-IPS panel, which is one of the best - and doesn't cost that much compared to most IPS monitors.
Newegg.com - HP LP2475w Black 24" 6 ms (GTG); 12ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 1000:1 w/ Height/Pivot/Swivel adjustments - LCD Monitors

As far as the different types of panels , I am clueless. Do you really , highly recommend the expensive panels? I can tell you that I have a keen eye for quality. The one that Apokalipse suggested , Newegg.com - HP LP2475w Black 24" 6 ms (GTG); 12ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 1000:1 w/ Height/Pivot/Swivel adjustments - LCD Monitors , looks really nice. I like the stand with the height/pivot/swivel adjustments. The response time (6ms ; 12ms) has me wondering though. We don't like ghosting around here :tongue:

The refurbished Dell monitors look great , and cheap :cool:

3 monitors...YES!!! Sounds like a plan (for the future)!!! It's one of the reasons I chose this card.
I also plan on using the 5870 in a future i7 build(if there are any i7 920s left when I get around to it).

The good thing about the dell monitors is that they are "recertified" which could mean any number of things. Once they leave the warehouse they are apparently considered used. The monitor i got was brand spanking new, it has a slight ding in the bezel that someone probably noticed and returned it. They also come with a 3 year warranty built in to the price.

As far as panel types, i currently have an MVA panel(soyo) a s-ips(dell) and my last monitor was a TN, the main difference between the panels is the colors. If TN is all you have ever had and used, you probably wont notice it, but set it next to an MVA or IPS panel and you can tell the difference between the color accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom