New Build-Final Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

locust00

Solid State Member
Hey all,

About to place my order here soon and am attempting to refine my build. After 3 drafts this is my final.

Build:
Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Water Cooling: (probably overkill but I'm willing to spend the extra cash for the experience of building it with it in).

Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima Liquid Cooling Kit (Universal Mount / LGA 1366 Included) - FrozenCPU.com

Any advice on alternative parts for performance or to save some cash on the build would be appreciated. This PC will be used primarily for online gaming and 3D programs. Looking for best performance w/ max settings.

Games:

World of Warcraft
Everquest II
Aion
Everquest
Star Wars Galaxies

Programs:

Maya
Zbrush
3D Max
Photoshop

Questions:
• I have read that the Radeon HD 4870's (in an original draft) get very hot, which motivated the Zalman VF1000 2 Ball VGA coolers I have in the updated draft. Havent found anywhere that says I would have any issues with the GIGABYTE GV-N275UD-896I GeForce GTX 275's I have in the current build but assume they would. Can anyone clarify this?
• Do I need to focus on my Ethernet card or are there any suggestions regarding a choice since all the games I play are online?
Thanks in advance

Uzi9mm-I have a couple pieces out of stock atm, I am on auto notify for the restock but will replace with equivelants if not a major component. Optical Drive isnt overly important to me, most of my media will be stored on a network server anyway so it will serve primarilly to run installs.

*edit*
Muffin Man - Im not exactly sure why i hadnt thought of that ,but that brings a new strategy I am going to have to think about regarding Video Cards...I am almost sold already.

Anything I am trying to do the single 5870 would most likely smoke anyway.

Ty

If you are going to go water, don't use a pre-fab kit. The vast majority are no better then good air cooling. Unfortunately, a good custom kit costs much more.

Would it be smarter to just get a top rated air cooler then? Or do you have any suggestions regarding the custom water-cooling? I would like to look into it more but not so sure i wanna invest too much either.

One other question.

I am considering changing out the Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards with theNewegg.com - ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards.

I am considering this 1. because the reviews are impressive. 2. It appears to be capable of handling everything within my build 3. save roughly 100.00 on overall build price.

Does anyone know a reason why I shouldnt do this? This seems practical, however, i feel like I am not seeing something and do not want to make a mistake on such an important component.

I don't see why not. I actually haven't heard anything really bad about it. Although the brand name tends to fend off buyers, according to reviews, it's a pretty solid motherboard. And at an affordable price.

Again, thanks for all the advice when i was finalizing my draft.

Purchased:

* ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
* Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
* OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory
* Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
* Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
*Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler Rev.B: CrazyPC Computers w/ Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan option
* Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB PCIe DDR5 w/HDMI & DVI

Just curious from anyone with a similar build. What am i realistically looking at being able to OC at with the current AC implemented.

The components listed above have already arrived. Just waiting on my Radeon HD 5870 to arrive and Im putting her together. Just wanted to know about what i will be looking at so I have a general idea when I get her going what to set my sights on.

Think I'm gonna try to tinker around with some bling on this one just for the experience. I'll post a pic when she's rockin and rollin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom