9800GTX+ Overheat issue - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ EnToxication

Thanks for your reply. So,

1. What should my voltage settings be?
2. Interesting, but this is about 15 degrees hotter on IDLE than it used to.
3. I don't have Vista, I have Windows 7.

Firstly I am going to state that I am running Windows 7 64-bit

4. If Nvidia coolers suck, how come I used to get around 35-40 C MAX on idle just a few months back, and now i get 55-60 C?

5.I have two fans blowing into the case, and one sucking air out. Its a pretty even air flow in there.

Slaymate,

Well, that was what I was trying to do yesterday. But I am not as advanced as you guys so I ran into some trouble taking the GPU out of its slot. Could you perhaps provide me with a link to something like a Dummy's Guide to Removing a GPU out of the Case and Cleaning It? :D

Because I just got as far as removing a screw, after that I couldn't do anythin.

And I have no clue about applying thermal paste etc. I would need an in-depth walk through of all of this to be able to do what you are telling me to.

Thanks for the links. I successfully removed my GPU out of the case and used the electric blower on it and got some dust out. However the thermal paste thing really seems to be a little to specific and I don't want to mess about with that.

If you tell me that thermal paste can make a huge difference, then I might take the desktop to the shop and ask them to apply some for me. I got this desktop about 13 months ago, September 2008 to be specific. Do you think that in 1 year the thermal paste needs to be re-applied?

I may also consider putting in another fan into my case? The Cooler Master RC-690 460W seems to have space for many fans and I am using 3 right now. However my concern is regarding electricity use - I don't want to waste a lot of my parents money. How much difference would a new fan make, and how much more electricity would/could it use? OK im asking a lot of questions now so please forgive me if I've gotten on your nerves :)

EDIT: I took my GPU to the shop and they took it into service. Let's see what they can do. They acknowledged and agreed with me that 60C while on MSN is a bit too much. Bottom line, I am desktopless for an unknown period of time. Let's hope I'll get it back quickly!

I would still be happy if you answer my above questions though,

Thanks for your help so far.

The thermal paste is abit tricky.. as if you use too much, it won't cool properly. And the factory paste is okay, but replaceing it with quality stuff, $9.99/tube, does wonders.

Which fans do you have in now? Back, top, and 1 front? Thats plenty, i wouldn't add more.

Ok, well let's see what the shop can do for me. I'll report back what happens regarding that.

About the fans, I have one at the backing sucking air out, one in front, one on the CPU, and one on the side of the case (blowing towards the GPU). So actually I have 4 fans I think. However there are a few more spaces, worst case I might consider putting another fan in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom