Differences between adding an ATA133 and SATA drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subterranean

Beta member
I hope this isn't too stupid a question but I've lost touch with hard drive technology.

I'd like to fit a new HD, but I already have two HDs IÂ’d like to keep, so I was going to get a PCI IDE controller with it and fit it as a third. I was looking at getting a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 because IÂ’ve heard good things about them and they go to a high capacity. However the ATA133 versions of this drive donÂ’t seem to be in stock anywhere (IÂ’m in the UK) while the SATA versions are, and at a not much higher price. If I bought a SATA drive with a SATA IDE controller, would this work in my PC, whose motherboard IÂ’m pretty sure canÂ’t handle SATA on its own? If it would work, would it be any more difficult to set up and get working than a 133 drive? For example the steps IÂ’d probably take adding a new 133 drive would be along the lines of

1. Add the IDE controller, switch on comp, add any necessary drivers, then switch back off.
2. Set jumper settings to master and add the HD and connect up to controller. Switch on comp and go into bios. Check the drive is recognized properly.
3. Go into DOS and run fdisk to partition the drive. Once this is done it should be fully functional right? Or have I missed something.

Would any of this be different for setting up a SATA drive? Assume I know nothing about the differences between the types of drive, as this is true :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom