photo processing system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

globalkiwi

Baseband Member
hey all,
I've been learning a lot from the posts on this site - but most of them are oriented towards gamer builds. I'm wanting to build a kick-butt desk-top but one oriented towards fairly intensive image processing - Lightroom 2, Photoshop CS4 - as well as some data processing, & the usual web browsing, word processing etc. I am curently thinking about a combo that includes:
EVGA E758-A1 Mobo
EVGA GTX 260-216 O/C edition
18-24 MB OCZ DDR3 1600
Samsung SSD 256
Velociraptor 300GB
2x WD CAviar Green 1.5 TB
Any suggestions as to what I should be doing differently? I'm very much feeling my way here.
thanks in advance!

I think you mean 18-24 GB of ram, not MB :)
And you won't need more than 12Gb max. Heck, even for big projects 6Gb should work fine. I work at a printing company, we use CS4 a lot and most machines have 4Gb.

Don't get the velociraptor. You've already got an SSD there, what would you need it for?

With the inclusion of the ssd there is no reason for the velociraptor. Actually there never is a good reason for a velociraptor.

12gb should be plenty of ram to start. I have 6gb and will use most of it with a cs4, illustrator and lightroom combo. If you want more go for 24gb in a 3x4gb x2 but I would go for 12 to start and see if you need more. Ram will just get cheaper.

The 260 is a great gpu for photoshop. You could also look at a ATI 4870 to save a little cash. You do not need any more power than those but it is nice to have a better card with cs4. Plus you can play most games at high settings if you wish.

I am assuming you are getting an i7 920 correct?

edit: poached by soul

Hey SOULphIRE & Hefemeister,
Thanks for your thoughts! Yes, of course, I did mean 18-24 *GB* memory. My thinking on the Velociraptor was that I could use that as a supplemental software drive, but particularly as a rapid scratch drive for CS4(?). Yes, I am basing this around an i7-920. Sorry for the lacking info. But my main sources of anxiety at this point are really the Mobo & GPU - continually find myself vacillating between ATi & NVidia choices ...
Anyway, your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks again for the feedback - one more question: do you think I need a CPU cooler with this set-up. I am putting the above gear in an Antec 1200 case.

Ok, thanks - I was thinking in terms of O/Cing to 3.5 - can you recommend any I should consider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom