So, I need a new computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

shdw.puppet

Beta member
I have been using a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 9300 Notebook for my general purpose computing (and I have a macbook, but that is irrelevant) and now I want to upgrade my Gaming machine because... well, I cant run any of the new games any more. I have 850-900 dollars to spend, including a monitor. I am technically proficient, but my hardware knowledge is a little lacking so I dont know where to even start.

I want a rig that will play all my existing games (TF2 etc) and still keep up with some upcoming games (CODMW, Starcraft etc) I am not looking for a rig that can play crysis Max settings and make coffee at the same time. I also need a monitor. I have been reading, so I know AMD/ATI is what I am most likely going to be going with here.

oh, I want the case to look as bad *** as possible.

any help would be appreciated

thanks,
shadow

If you want a flashy case that really sticks out, I'd say take a look at the Antec Skeleton. It's flashy, but it's really open. Another good alternative for a case would be the classic Antec 900

@muffin man
I do not need keyboard, mouse or OS, just tower and monitor.

@iFargle
I am not a fan of the Skeleton, but that Antec 900 catches my eye, so that is a case I would like to consider using.

I have also been looking at GPUs and I think that the Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards will do what I want it to do at a reasonable price. What do you guys think?

Where I am at a loss is motherboards and cpu's. Hard drive should be easy enough to get a good one at a good price and monitors are fairly expensive (especially since I want one that can use HDMI input if the graphics card will support it)

Well, with that graphic's card, you'd want a monitor like this: Newegg.com - ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ HDCP Support 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 5000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

And yeah, xfiring grphics cards that week would be almost pointless. I would just get a better video card. While that card, as an actual card, can be considered mid-high end, in terms of purchasing, it is pretty low-end. The only reason someone would buy something lower performance than that would be because they only like to play WoW.

May I suggest either of these:

$125: Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-YWFC Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$145: Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I might even chose the 512 mb version here because if you get a monitor with the res of the one I listed, the extra VRAM isn't going to help much.

If you want him to get a 1920x1080 monitor, then you should have him buy the 1 GB version of the 4870.

good idea. youd still have some money in your budget anyway, so get the 1gb version that Druid linked above instead ^

oops, im a newb at this, that is why I am asking for help :p

I am really liking that build muffin man, that comes in a bit over budget (I completely forgot all about shipping) but I can afford to spend a bit more than planned.

Thanks for your help guys, are there any other suggestions?

Also, this may be a noob question, but what are the major differences between the Athlon CPU you chose and the Phenom one I choose? I thought that L3 Cache was recommended for gaming.

**edit**
you are right, I am actually a bit under budget, so the other vid card is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom