Ok, now for the video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
So when I came on here asking you guys what kind of video card I should buy, you all told me that I needed to upgrade my power supply. 450 watts wasn't going to cut it, so I went out and bought some complete garbage 550 watt power supply for 30 dollars at compusa. Now assuming I can move on a bit, which video card would you guys recommend? And if I still need to upgrade my power supply, then what wattage do you recommend?

There is also a 600 watt there. But it is a bit more expensive.

Am I still limited to my choice of video card?

The reasons for upgrading from my 9600 GSO, are mainly Modern Warfare 2, and All Points Bulletin, and probably The Agency. Which I want to play at around 50-60 fps if possible.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz Stock
Intel DG31PR Classic Series, Max 4gb of Memory, 1 Pci Express x16
4Gb Nvidia OCZ Performance ram (Windows xp only reads 3.20 something gigs)
XFX Geforce 9600 GSO 768mb
Power Up! 550W pci Express ready PSU.

What is your budget for video card?

I would return that psu. It can't be trusted.

Here is one: Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

It is modular (which is good but more expenseive) but I don't have time to browse around forever.

I would honestly consider looking for a better power supply, if the one I currently have in wasn't working like a champ..

I don't think I would pay any more than 200 dollars for a graphics card, but I want to play modern games at around 50-60 fps constant on medium to higher settings, and looking at my current setup, my ram, os, and CPU, do you think it is possible to achieve with a graphics card that costs less than 200 dollars?

I don't really want to waste my money on a new power supply until this one breaks, or completely fails.

It is working now, but since it is a really cheap psu, it isn't reliable. It is likely to fail. When a psu fails, I believe it can take some of your other components with it.

If you get that $50 one, you have room in your budget for the 1GB version of the 4870.

Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Thanks guys, i'll go with the 4870.

Is it guaranteed to play Modern Warfare 2 at decent frame rates? All Points Bulletin (Unreal 3 Engine)?

I am really looking forward to these games.

Yeah, it'll max mw2 with probably as many frames as you can see, and if that other thing is on the unreal 3 engine, I'm sure that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom