Indecision and Noobness Annoys

Status
Not open for further replies.
These parts should solve you problem while costing a whole lot less.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

(To alleviate the SATA issue)
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA790GXE 128M AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

If the new case doesn't lower your gpu temps enough you could always pick up a aftermarket hsf although considering what gpu prices are like you might be better of just putting the money towards a new card.

I'm getting confused again haha. Since I have a pre-built case (HP Pavilion) it doesn't have good airflow (or any at all for that matter...), but right now the side and front panels are off, I have a fan strapped to the front with some of the removable panels removed to let air in, and another fan pointed in the case towards the gpu (also a 60mm fan strapped to the back above the pci slots as exhaust). It still gets into the 70's playing games with fan speed at 100%.

It does sound like more of a logical route with a new case and mobo though. That way I could get a new hs. I think I'll make up a new cart with parts for the new case route. That 300 does look good, I was also looking at the cm690 before. What do you guys thing about it? Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The cm690 is nice although I prefer the 300.

I was in a similar position in terms of cooling with my original case and upgrading to the 300 was probably the best $70 I ever spent on my system. In addition to the improved airflow the extra space vs a OEM case is a major plus and makes working on your system so much easier.

Here is my new list. I added a new heat sink because I might end up oc'ing it some with the board ;).
Petra's:
Just making sure, this is compatible with the 9800GT right? It doesn't have the GT listed but looking at some review it seems like some people have used it. Petra's Tech Shop
Petra's Tech Shop

Newegg:
Just put the 690 in, not sure if it will be the one I decide on. A friend of mine has it and he really likes it.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA790GXE 128M AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Anything I should change or add? I think that might be all I would need.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I really appreciate it :D.

Thanks! I'll add the Core Contact ($25 after $15 mail-in rebate!!!) I think I'll just order the Musashi from Newegg also, it's only a difference of $2 after shipping is added. Is the thermal paste that comes with the Musashi good?

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Scythe USA SCVMS-1000 Sleeve VGA Cooler - VGA Cooling

Total with estimated shipping on Newegg is $281.58. Mail-in rebate total is $25, so after that it would be $256.58- that's pretty good imo.

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up, I'll just use the tuniq for all of it then :). I added this fan set to use as case fans:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

There are two things I'm not sure on though. One is that I have a pre-built, so the OS came installed already. Since I'm getting a new motherboard, will I have to get another OS (7 comes out in a few weeks, so I would get that if I have to)? I know I'll have to reformat, but C:\ is actually a partition of D:\, which is what the recovery disk is stored on. If I format, do I just format C:\? I do have 3 recovery discs (actual cd's), do those actually install the OS if I format the whole drive?

The second thing I'm not too sure on is my PSU. I have an Antec Earthwatts 500w, it's working fine for me now, but I don't know if it will be ok when I add the extra fans (also maybe a fan controller and if I eventually OC a little).

Thanks for the fan specs, I think I'll just keep the PSU I'm using now then (if the cables are long enough ;)).

The discs are labled (sharpie marker) "HP a6430f Recovery Disc 1/3" then 2/3 and 3/3.

Was also thinking about this fan controller: Newegg.com - 1ST PC CORP. FC-FC2-B Lamptron 5.25" 6-channel fan controller, 45w/channel, 3-pin fan & molex power co - Controller Panels Hopefully it won't suck too much power, shouldn't be more than what the fans are rated at. This might be my fan layout, blue is intake and red is exhaust (MS Paint :tongue:).
1111913713.jpg

Arrow above the "Motherboard Tray" text is the bottom fan on the side panel. 120mm's for the top and bottom, and in the front in the top HD bays if I can figure out how to mount it there. Would put the top 2, top front, and CPU HS on the controller. Do you think a 4 fan controller would be good enough instead of a 6?

I have to thank all of you guys for the help again, I don't know what I would do without you! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom