Graphics card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmonkey22

Beta member
alright i dont really know that much about this stuff but i needed a new graphics card and the one i ordered has a pcie thing or something well my computer doesnt have it im gonna send it back and get a refund but i need to know what are some good suggestions for graphics cards that dont need that.
my computer is a dell inspiron 531

Okay.. as far as i know/read you need a low profile pci-e card.. or a new case

It is the slimline one correct?

Also remember, sa bigger card needs more power.

What card did you buy, and can you find a pic of your computer.

If your motherboard doesn't have PCI-E, it will have AGP; in which case look for graphics cards which are AGP slot. Though those are fairly rare now, and most AGP cards aren't good enough for new games.

i dont know where i would find a pic of my comp i can upload one if you need me too its a dell inspiron 531 its from 07 it says it has a pcie slot and it does the card fit but my power supply doesnt have where to connect the 6pin thing that it needs to i guess run the fan and i dont have the money for a new power supply so i was wondering if theres a card that i can get that can just run without hooking up to the power supply or if theres another way i can get power to this one like maybe an adapter cable idk alot about this kind of thing tho

Ah, I see what you mean. Cards like the 9500GT and HD4350 (I recommend the former) don't need external power, you just plug them into the socket. However they won't play games on any good detail levels (I know the 9500GT can do Civ IV on max and Oblivion at half-decent settings).

To get a pic use google image.. theres 2 types of 531.. slim and normal.

The dell wiki says you have a 250 or 300W psu. If you have a slim version, your almost out of luck on a new psu.

will those cards work well with newer games?

no i dont have the slim version i have the regular clunky one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom