Not accepting USB devices (old computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddestruction

Baseband Member
So I got this old hunk-of-junk desktop that I would like to use to mod my xbox 360 with but it's not accepting any USB devices. Im stuck at a pop up before Windows loads that asks me if I would like to resolve the Windows not genuine problem. I cant say yes or no because my mouse and keyboard all of a sudden dont work anymore with it.

How do I get this piece of garbage to accept my input devices?

The motherboard: pci/pnp 686 1998
CPU: Intel Pentium III 800mhz ( just so you can laugh)
Powersupply: 300W ( just so you can laugh)

Btw I dont have the backup disks to reboot and erase the stuff on this computer, not that it would matter because I would need to input some type of command anyway.

* All USB ports arent working *

You don't happen to have a ps/2 mouse and keyboard do you?

... Never heard of that (google searching)
Did'nt know Playstation made mouses and keyboards, unfortunatly I do not own one.

Edit: No wait Im stupid I do own a ps/2 connector those ports work , thanks for the link I didnt know what they for and just disconnected them. keyboard now works this way but all USB ports are still not working

2nd Edit: after plugging in the mouse through the ps/2 connector the motherboard beeps alot , seems like random beeping with no sequence, mean anything? It only does this with the green ps/2 connector and mouse plugged in. (Doesnt do it now)

So It beeps when it boots up with ps/2 devices every time now? Or it just did it the one time and never again?

Check out your device manager and see if there are any Yellow Exclamation marks listed by your USB controllers or anywhere else.

Were the USB devices working at all before you got into Windows? Like could you get into the BIOS or anything or were they just completely non responsive? Most of the time when you boot up you'll get a screen with a logo (whoever made your PC or your Motherboard if you did it yourself) and it will say something like "Press F2 to go into Setup" or "Press Del to go into Setup". Try doing this with your USB keyboard and see if you have any luck.

I'm trying to determine if it's Windows that has the issue or if your USB controller on your motherboard has just given out.

It only did the random beeping one time and never again.As far as Logo's go there arent any during load up.
The USB devices were working the first time I started it yesterday, then I rebooted and now there not.

Edit: The mouse and keyboard are now working, but still all USB ports arent. I went to device manager and it says the USB ports are fine, running XP by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom