Indecision and Noobness Annoys

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzmxer608

Fully Optimized
I'm pretty sure most of you are thinking "Make up your mind already!!!!:very_angry:", I've been going back and forth on this with opinions from different people for a while now. I'm talking about my gpu temps/cooling. I was going to wait and build a whole new system but to be honest I really don't need a whole new system, so now (hopefully final decision ;)) I just want to get my gpu temps as low as possible so I can play games and not have to worry about it as much (and maybe even oc it a little more).

I know Slaymate linked me a few heatsinks that looked pretty good (clearance for my sata ports) but looking at the position of my gpu there wouldn't be a whole lot of room between the psu and heatsink so it wouldn't really be getting air efficiently. The ghetto rigging I have setup to get air moving around the gpu isn't all that great, plus it makes my table vibrate which is annoying. Right now my side panel is off, I was thinking about getting a small wc loop just for the gpu, the side panel would have to be off anyway so that doesn't make a big difference. I'm just not sure on what radiator would be good, a 120mm or a 240mm. Since the only thing that would be in the loop is the gpu I was leaning towards a 120mm, but I don't think that would give a whole lot better performance than what a new heatsink would. So now I'm leaning towards a 240mm. Plus then I could fix my ghetto rigging (might be a little quieter, and would look better ;)[I would most likely position a fan blowing inside my case for the ram sinks still though]).

Here is what I have selected so far:
Petra's Tech Shop
Petra's Tech Shop
5x Petra's Tech Shop
Petra's Tech Shop
Petra's Tech Shop
2x Petra's Tech Shop
Petra's Tech Shop
Maybe? Petra's Tech Shop
Maybe? Petra's Tech Shop

If someone could go through what I have and make sure everything is compatible (I'm pretty sure it all is), and see if I could change anything.

I really hope I'm not annoying you guys too much, I know I've been back and forth on this for a while now. I just want what would be best for right now. I don't think I really "need" a new system, it's just that I want my gpu as cool as it can be (I've always thought water cooling would be fun to tinker around with too).

I revised the list of parts I'm thinking of; changed the radiator, decided not to get the gel stuff, added MX-2 and opted for biocide additive for distilled water instead.
revisedwccart.png

It's $215.04 with estimated shipping. Are there any changes I should make? One thing I'm not sure on is what I should use to clamp the tubes on the barbs. Are zip ties ok or are the hose clamps better? I'm thinking I could just get hose clamps at a hardware store if that's what I go with, instead of ordering them.

Often times hardware stores only carry the heavy duty hose clamps that can be too big to properly seat themselves on barbs.

The ones that Petras stocks are much thinner and easier to work with...

Zip ties will work, but proper hose clamps will hold the tubing on under countless times more force.

Petras might be able to price match if you ask them very politely.

Might save you some cash on shipping.

Hmmm, so herbie clips or hose clamps? Herbie clips are cheaper, and you don't have to mess with a screwdriver trying to fit it in places. Might have to go with the herbies.

Thanks for posting the links Phil :D. I see the mcw60 comes with 2 h-clips already. Do you mean calling them and asking aspire? I normally just order everything online since it's easier (easier for me at least).

Hmmm, so herbie clips or hose clamps? Herbie clips are cheaper, and you don't have to mess with a screwdriver trying to fit it in places. Might have to go with the herbies.

Thanks for posting the links Phil :D. I see the mcw60 comes with 2 h-clips already. Do you mean calling them and asking aspire? I normally just order everything online since it's easier (easier for me at least).

The only thing I've heard about the herbie clips are that thy are a pain in the butt to take off.

The hose clamps can also be tightened and loosened using a dime as they have a flathead screw top.

And yeah, give Quoc (Owner of Petras) a call, ask him if he can price match Newegg, and tell him Andrew from Fremont says hello.

The only thing I've heard about the herbie clips are that thy are a pain in the butt to take off.

The hose clamps can also be tightened and loosened using a dime as they have a flathead screw top.

And yeah, give Quoc (Owner of Petras) a call, ask him if he can price match Newegg, and tell him Andrew from Fremont says hello.

ohh, yes they are a pain to get off the first time. but once you get the hang of it and they get worked in their not too bad.

You want to cool a tri-core and a 9800GT? My rig isn't even worth water cooling. You need some expensive stuff to warrant that cost. I say it's a waste of cash. get a nice big case and some good fans. it's cheaper and it will serve your purposes well. They will also work with your next system, since ATX isn't going anywhere soon, whereas water blocks probably wont fit next gen parts.

Do what I did, get a bigger case, a Core contact freezer and an acellero. One Saturday's worth of work will give you great temps and it isn't even that loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom