Win XP setup errors I'm getting

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to do a FULL format. Not a quick. Yes it should be Primary and Active if it is the main and only OS isntalled.

Rapter unplugged 2 Rem HD's removed 1 HD plugged into sata cord rapter was in. enter bios it only shows Plextor Sata DVD RW nothing else.

Your XP Disk doesnt have the SATA Drivers for your mobo. XP never had these. You have to use either nlite to slipstream them or use the F6 for 3rd party driver installs.

Did you slipstream them or are you using the F6 method?

If you answer no for both then that is why. XP was released well before any SATA Drive was ever thought of. It doesnt have those drivers by default on the disk.

Your XP Disk doesnt have the SATA Drivers for your mobo. XP never had these. You have to use either nlite to slipstream them or use the F6 for 3rd party driver installs.

Did you slipstream them or are you using the F6 method?

If you answer no for both then that is why. XP was released well before any SATA Drive was ever thought of. It doesnt have those drivers by default on the disk.

Would me getting Vista 64 bit or Win 7 fix my issues easiest? I tried F6 option and it asked for Drive A and Nlite was too big for my 1.44 floppy

To put it simply, yes. Vista and Win7 have far more support for SATA Drives. They dont have all mind you. But they do have support for a lot.

Let me clarify this. With the amount of hardware out there and the amount of drivers needed to run every piece of hardware, the driver.cab file would be so large that it would take a 100GB Blu-Ray DVD to store all possible drivers. If that would even all fit on there.

So Microsoft has created their own drivers for use with many devices. Which is why if you look at your device manager and check all the drivers you will see some have drivers from Microsoft themselves. They have made generic drivers to work with many pieces of hardware.

So while getting Vista or Win7 would be easiest, that is not saying that they might have support for your specific SATA Drive. It is more than likely, but i can not say for sure that it will.

As far as nlite goes why not just put it on a USB Thumb Drive and transfer it to the PC you are using to respond and create the CD on that PC? It is not that tough. You would need your XP disk, enough hard drive space for the XP ISO and XP CD to be copied to the drive (So roughly about 2GB) and the SATA Drivers. Then just slipstream them into the CD and create the bootable ISO and burn it. Then you can delete all the stuff needed for nlite to free up that space again and bam, you got you XP CD with your SATA drivers.

Just wanted to give an update on my system.

I ordered a new HD WD 320 gig Blue sata II System drive. To get HD to go to Sata 1 I had to put jumpers 5 and 6.

Went to gigabyte website downloaded the Sata Raid preinstall bootexe.

Followed the directions about hitting F6 during XP setup. I still got the same blue screen as above so I gave up.

So I decided to try Vista Ultimate 32 bit OEM software hit F6 during setup loaded sata raid INF and txsetup.oem and whatever else and boom it loaded just fine.

I'm going to try Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit OEM and see how that does. Do you think 32 bit Windows 7 is smarter to try on this rig or should I be bold and try 64 bit Windows 7?

I thank everyone for the help and patience to help me fix my machine.

I just loaded Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit OEM on this machine. I will post my impressions and load all my drivers and see how it handles it. Other then the logon and password thing it looks cool. I can only imagine how it looks on a new machine.

Got my Audigy 2 ZS works fine
Got better video driver works did not try beta one

Wolfenstein 3d worked on this machine under XP SP2

In Win 7 I got this error

16 bit subsystem

C:\ Program-1\wolfen-1\wolf3d\wolf3d.exe

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

CS:00073 IP:178e OP:FF FF C1 3e 80

I used troubleshoot selected XP SP2 start program.

USB Netgear WG111 V2 Adapter no dice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom