Salaries for Computer Tech and Network Tech jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericd

Solid State Member
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. I'm the PC Tech/Network Tech/Server Admin for the School district I work for. We have 10 different buildings. I manage 17 servers and there are about 2500 computers in the district. I only get paid 10.75 an hour. What salary do you guys get by chance? I want to be asking for a raise at the end of the school year. Just need a comparison of what other people at my level are getting paid.

Before answer that we need to know your job description. They can put any title on a job, what matters is what you do within the job that counts and what you are getting paid for.

What do you do with the servers? Are you more a desktop support technician that occasionally touches the servers?

You work for a school district so you aren't going to make a whole lot in the first place (school district IT jobs generall make less than other industries). It also depends on where you live at.

Earlier this year when I was looking for a job, I got to the final stages of an interview process with a school district in St. Louis. They were going to offer between 14 and 16 dollars an hour for a 40 hour a week job (year round because during the summers we would be doing infastructure work) and it was basically a desktop support job with a little networking and server support. Mostly desktop support though. Since you are making around 11 an hour it leads me to believe you are doing mostly desktop support stuff.

I am currently looking for work, and i am not looking for any thing less that AU$45k per year.
I am an onsite experienced computer tech that does mostly SOHO environments.
I am currently on AU$35K a year, however I do have a paid for appartment to live in.

Before answer that we need to know your job description. They can put any title on a job, what matters is what you do within the job that counts and what you are getting paid for.

What do you do with the servers? Are you more a desktop support technician that occasionally touches the servers?

You work for a school district so you aren't going to make a whole lot in the first place (school district IT jobs generall make less than other industries). It also depends on where you live at.

Earlier this year when I was looking for a job, I got to the final stages of an interview process with a school district in St. Louis. They were going to offer between 14 and 16 dollars an hour for a 40 hour a week job (year round because during the summers we would be doing infastructure work) and it was basically a desktop support job with a little networking and server support. Mostly desktop support though. Since you are making around 11 an hour it leads me to believe you are doing mostly desktop support stuff.

Actually, I'm doing desktop support, and i'm also replanning our entire network. I also have to replan our Active Directory. I also do the website for our school district. Forgot to add that one.

All I was saying was your salary (i don't know the area you live) sounds more like a desktop support paygrade opposed to server / networking. So I'm thinking your job description (regardless of what they are having you do) is something like desktop support.

You didn't answer my previous question of what is in your job description.

Before asking for a raise you need to take a few things into consideration like...
-how long you've been with the company
-how many years experience do you have in IT
-do you have any degrees or certifications within the IT field
-how is your school district doing economically, are they laying people off, are they on a wage freeze, etc. You can't expect a raise if your district isn't doing well (regardless of if you deserve one or not)

The reason these things matter is if you have been with the company 3 years, have IT experience and possible a BS in computers you should be making more than $11 an hour. If you have no experience, no degree, and maybe just an A+ and/or Net+ you are not going to make as much and shouldn't expect an employer to pay you much more until you have more experience under your belt (not saying you aren't deserving, you just have to realize the IT market is flooded with IT professionals with little to no experience, no degree and very few if any certifications, so those employees are a dime a dozen so therefor they can pay those employees crap).

So lets pretend you have experience, been with the company and have some type of degree - then i think a raise would be in order.

Pretend you don't have these things, then you would be hard-pressed to get a raise.

Keep in mind the economy sucks (assuming you are in the US) and no one within hard-hit industries are really getting raises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom