New life into old case

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
I have a tower from a Windows 98 era computer (P3 cpu with jumper style OC mobo). The case seems to be an ATX full tower. It has 7 card slots, 3 external 5.25 bays, 2 internal 3.5 bay, and 2 external 3.5 bay (metal grill still over one of them, so could be considered internal if need be). It has a large fan mount (no fan just grill/screw-holes, looks like 120mm) on the bottom/front of case, a 80mm fan on center/back of case (below PSU, next to I/O shield). I measured/checked mobo mounting holes, and it will take a full ATX mobo.

I was wondering if this would be a decent choice to swap my current components/planned upgraded hardware to. I currently have HP Pav. a6700f which is a mid tower of sorts with a single rear exhaust fan (i have panel off, and use twin window fan for cooling when using computer at full bore.

I was thinking of cutting hole on top of full tower for a top exhaust fan, and a hole or 2 on side panel for additional input fans. If that would be a decent idea, then i should set fans up like so...
rear and top - exhaust.
front, side - intake

If i can find my digital camera, i'll take a picture of it if that would help. It is definitely a sturdy case with the flip-out feet. I could probably install a fan or 2 on the bottom of the case if i wanted to. Also, any suggestions on Case fans? Noise level is a concern, doesn't need to be absolutely silent, but my computer is pretty quiet (loudest thing is my old HDD), and if possible would like to keep it that way.

This post was much longer than intended. so i'll stop now. Any thoughts appreciated.

Edit: This thread should probably be in the Overclocking/Case Mod area. My bad :-/

I just got a new Antec 200 case for mine for $50 a good price for what you get, Newegg.com - Antec Two Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases it's actually close to the same case as there 300 with a little different looks. Any how i built a system for a friend with the 300 and that has 2 120's in the front one 120 in the rear and a 140 on the top with adjustable speeds on them and with so many fans that computer was surprisingly quiet. the 200 only comes with the 140 and rear 120 but I added the 2 fronts but have yet put it together but the Antec fans seem pretty quiet so you might look at there fans.

Dauntae

P3 used current ATX standards (as long as it is not proprietary) and if it has 7 expansion slots then that means it is full ATX (in size at least). Post up pics and we can have a look/make suggestions.
It is unlikely you have a 120mm fan mount on it (more likely 92mm). It is possible you have an 80mm on the back but measure this as well because it was very common to have a 60mm there.

I did some looking around on here, and it so happens that Nagasama did a nice case mod on the exact same tower as the one i'm talking about. He has pics of his build posted here http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/nagasamas-first-case-mod-175874/
The only difference in the cases seems to be the plastic face-plate. Kinda funny that he chose the Corsair 550vx PSU (thats what i will be getting). I do plan on putting a fan in the same location on top of case as he did, although instead of side panel window i will be placing a fan or 2 directed at chipset heatsink(fanless) and ram/gpu. Seeing his build has gotten me rather excited about doing this mod. Will probably get started measuring and scoring cuts today.

The mobo that my heart is set on is the ASUS m4a79 Deluxe am3/am2+/am3 790fx. So I'm thinking for the side panel fan placement to place one blowing right on top of the ram (with the core contact HSF the fan will be pulling air from right on top of the ram blowing towards rear exhaust). and the other fan half over the first PCI-e slot and half over the chipset HS right next to it. If need be i could add a fan on the bottom panel of the case blowing at the PCI-e slots. What do you think?

yea he did! I don't expect mine to come out anywhere near that, I'm going for function over form on this, however i'm thinking about painting it a basic 2 tone of sorts. Probably won't though. Any suggestions for fans or fan specs to look for? CFM, RPM, Volts/Amps? Was also considering 3 small fans on side panel as opposed to 2 large. I would be able to more accurately supply cool air to specific locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom